Views: 12542|Replies: 40

Dogs are smarter than cats, do you think so? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-6-18 09:36:42 |Display all floors
The thought processes of 15 cats were tested by attaching food to the end of lengths of string and observing whether they could figure out that pulling the line brought the treats closer.

The cats had no problem with tackling single pieces of string. However, when faced with two options, experts discovered that unlike their canine counterparts, cats were unable to consistently pick a baited string over a dummy.

Psychology lecturer Britta Osthaus, who conducted the study, said the findings shatter the myth that cats are smarter than dogs.

Mrs Osthaus, of Canterbury Christ Church University, Kent, said: "This finding is somehow surprising as cats regularly use their paws and claws to pull things towards them during play and hunting.

"They performed even worse than dogs, which can at least solve the parallel string task."

She added that the results show that cats do not understand cause-and-effect connections between objects.

The experiments involved attaching fish and biscuit treats to one end of a piece of string, placing them under a plastic screen to make them unreachable.

They were tested in three ways, using a single baited string, two parallel strings where only one was baited, and two crossed strings where only one was baited.

With two crossed strings, one cat always made the wrong choice and others succeeded no more than might be expected by chance.

Mrs Osthaus added: "If we know their limits we won't expect too much of them, which in turn is important for their welfare.

"I am not trying to say cats are stupid, just they are different. We are so anthropomorphic we can't see the world through their eyes."
st-bernard_1405216c.jpg
ocelot-mouse_1397003i.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-18 09:58:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by anne_anne at 2009-6-18 09:36
The thought processes of 15 cats were tested by attaching food to the end of lengths of string and observing whether they could figure out that pulling the line brought the treats closer.

The ca ...

I'v just read a book saying cats r smarter
s

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-18 10:13:04 |Display all floors
i like dog than cat
dog is loyal

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-18 10:31:10 |Display all floors
dog is loyal and cat is meek. both could be human' buddy, right?
the key is up to you. also base on what character of them you do prefer?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-18 10:58:12 |Display all floors
Pack hunters are often smarter than solitary ones, due to social hierarchy and group hunting skills..... I wonder what the result would have been with lions.
--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-18 11:02:56 |Display all floors
i love the innocent knowing-nothing look at  dogs and the lazy look at cats... >_<

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-18 12:08:25 |Display all floors
Do you know pigs are smarter than dogs?

Christians must learn to respect Science.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.