Author: pullmyfinger

Privatization of China's tap water by French company Veolia [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-6-2 10:45:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Eagleclaw1 at 2009-6-2 06:50
The world is fighting over water and water rights.... America is in a battle over water now in some states....

The droughts on certain parts of our country, and lack of snow fall and glacier mel ...

USA made Las Vegas which is an aberration when it comes to water saving.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-2 11:53:49 |Display all floors
Within certain amount, the water is basic necessaries for each person.
Some places around the world each person is allowed to have water in a few sq meters free of charge per month or 3 months.Then it's government subsidy. It's for hygiene reason. I don't know what will the outcome after water privatization and the difference between Veolia and local company.
Vision without action is illusion---Y.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-2 12:20:59 |Display all floors

Seneca

I hope you're right. But, it appears that Chinese and foreign companies can, and have. Check it out and then tell us if you believe it to be true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-2 13:50:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pullmyfinger at 2009-6-2 12:20
I hope you're right. But, it appears that Chinese and foreign companies can, and have. Check it out and then tell us if you believe it to be true.

ell, its because mainland Chinese lack the Experience and Resolve to solve the tap water problem

that said, i dont think i would drink the tap water in france

a North American company should take it over, so everyone in China can drink straight from teh tap

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-3 12:23:34 |Display all floors

Hiring a company is one thing, but...

Hiring a company may be understandable, but selling a piece of your country is another. Tap water is IS a piece of the country. This is tantamount to giving away sovereignty. True or not?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-3 12:48:42 |Display all floors

Reply #7 fredius's post

Yep, it's called outsourcing much like they do for the management of ports around the world. Maybe they can clean the water up so it's fit to drink!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-8 03:52:53 |Display all floors

Why should you care what happens here in China?

I was asked that question in a private message.

This is not about China and its water. This is about huge corporations taking control of individual's lives. When American Monsanto owns the rights to your crop seeds in Africa, and French Veolia owns the rights to your water in China, you should care.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.