Author: timbatu

Escargot, do you like it? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-5-31 02:06:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by timbatu at 2009-5-30 11:56
Eagle, dancing chicken are easy to get in Guangzhou or NY?

A dancing chicken is easy to get anyplace....

We rub them down with lots of savory spices, then we open a can of beer, pour off some into a cake pan 'for steam', and place the beer can 搘ith the remaining beer 3/4 of a can?into the birds carcass...

You can do many at one time...... Set the beer can & chicken抯 over the coals of a good fire, for about an hour +, depending on your own taste or desire...

Then relax, and drink a few more beers, enjoying the company of friends, and wait until the chickens are dancing around the table...

Again yumyumyum.....:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-31 02:10:27 |Display all floors
I am a avid outdoorsman, I went puffin catching in Alaska... They are pretty good roasted......

I also hunt and fish, and have eatin about everything that one can eat.........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-31 02:14:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by timbatu at 2009-5-30 11:56
Eagle, dancing chicken are easy to get in Guangzhou or NY?

I replied to this post and it didnt submit...

I was talking about a roasted chicken.......... lol

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-31 03:53:41 |Display all floors

Puffin catching...?

Originally posted by Eagleclaw1 at 2009-5-31 02:10
I am a avid outdoorsman, I went puffin catching in Alaska... They are pretty good roasted......

I also hunt and fish, and have eatin about everything that one can eat.........

Is that where you use a sort of butterfly net on a long pole and try to swoop them as they fly by? If so how hard is it to catch one? How many tries did you take?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-31 04:15:12 |Display all floors
Yes, that is how we caught them....

It is all about timing and location and most of all, arm strength and stamina... They are perched on the cliffs and jagged edges and are caught before they start laying eggs....

It took me a few tries, mostly getting the timing thing down, the rest was easy after that.... There is no other way for people to harvest this type of bird....

Guns are not feasible, because of losing the birds to the sea, or rocks below or having to hike down to retrieve them.... I admire the early peoples of the world, that figured out how to survive by using these old and ancient methods...

They are very good eating as well.....

But, sadly it is becoming a thing of the past... The puffins are starving to death and in some places it is no longer legal.. Unless you are native and it is part of subsistence living..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoHD2GxcBMw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjsJrbl4jI&feature=related

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-31 05:07:08 |Display all floors

Thanks for links...

Originally posted by Eagleclaw1 at 2009-5-31 04:15
Yes, that is how we caught them....

It is all about timing and location and most of all, arm strength and stamina... They are perched on the cliffs and jagged edges and are caught before they st ...

That does look delicious the way Ramsay cooked it. Bit surprised to see him. I would have expected Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods. I first learnt about the puffin in a short documentary of a japanese fellow who had retired somewhere in the puffin area. He caught and ate the breast only but after deep frying it. That breast meat looks damn delicious! The reporter said it was delicious...

Too bad about the puffins. Hope they don't go the way of the dodo...Gordon Ramsay (or Andrew Zimmern) could unwittingly hasten the process...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-31 12:03:42 |Display all floors
I am still waiting for those who have these as their tradition to discuss.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.