Author: anannyaban

Is Aus trying to bury racist attack? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-5-29 16:52:03 |Display all floors
'Petrol bomb hurled' at Indian youth in Australia

MELBOURNE: In a fresh attack targeting Indians in Australia, a student suffered up to 30% burns after a suspected petrol bomb was hurled at him
in his home in Sydney.

According to local newspaper, South Asia Times, 25-year-old Rajesh Kumar was quickly covered by a blanket by his flatmate after the attack yesterday, an act which saved him from further injuries.

Kumar was sitting on his bed in the front room of his rented house when an unknown person threw what neighbours say was a small petrol bomb through his window. The explosion and subsequent fire left Kumar with burns to a third of his body.

The latest attack came as Shravan Kumar, a 25-year-old student from Andhra Pradesh, was fighting for life in a hospital here after being stabbed by a screwdriver by a group of teens in a weekend attack that also left three of his friends injured. Doctors have said they were not very optimistic about Kumar's recovery.

Another student Baljinder Singh, stabbed by two attackers with a screwdriver early this week, has been released from hospital today.

A New South Wales Fire Brigades spokesman said Rajesh Kumar's flatmate Arminder Singh did the right thing when he grabbed a blanket and threw it over his friend, helping to extinguish the flames.

"He was crying, on fire. He lay down on the ground and I put the blanket on him," Singh said adding "I told him everything was going to be OK. He was asking: 'Is my face OK?"

Singh, 33, said he was halfway between the laundry and kitchen when he heard the sound of smashing glass and his friend screaming. He and another flatmate, Chander Mohan, said they saw Kumar run out of his bedroom and out the front door with his back and arms on fire.

Singh and Mohan said the attack was terrifying. "We could not sleep, we could not eat all night," Singh said.

They had moved into the house with Kumar and two other flatmates in February but were moving out again as soon as possible, Mohan said.

He said Kumar had no enemies and had not been in any trouble. "We don't know why," Mohan said.

Singh said he had been robbed on the street three times in the past two months.

Would you still say, it was not recist?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-29 17:01:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by anannyaban at 2009-5-29 18:52
'Petrol bomb hurled' at Indian youth in Australia
Would you still say, it was not recist?

It is racist if it was hurled at him simply because he was Indian.

If it were a random attack or there was a dispute about something else, then it is not racist.

The point is that for a number of reasons, including opportunism, racism and naiivety, there are far too many Indian students being attacked in Melbourne.

They are being attacked by filthy scum criminals who come from a number of different ethnic backgrounds which include east Asian, African, European and Anglo.

It should also be noted that those innocent Indian victims who have been attacked, have been overwhelmed with offers of assistance by ordinary Australians who are as sickened by these attacks as Indian people are.

There is no doubt that the police and other authorities need to nip this in the bud with an overwhelming response including "baiting" offenders and covert surveillance and lock these little b@stards up with no bail prior to trial.

My sympathies go out to the victims and their families and I can assure them that ordinary Australians look kindly upon our visitors from India.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-29 17:05:15 |Display all floors
[quote]Originally posted by emucentral at 2009-5-29 17:01

It is racist if it was hurled at him simply because he was Indian SAYS EMuC DICKHEADS
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-29 17:16:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2009-5-29 05:01 PM

It is racist if it was hurled at him simply because he was Indian.

If it were a random attack or there was a dispute about something else, then it is not racist.

Can you give me any logical explanation, what the person, who hurled the bomb, can gain from this attack apart from his recist perverted satisfaction or Do you realy think it could be a plot of burglary?

As I said earlier, we need to accept the problem before solving it. And that is what we need here.

because, as long as you cover it as a petty crime, it would be seen as a discrete event where the preperator is an individual and raising voice does no good. But if it is identified as a recist attack, you can move against it as a whole and that is what we need to do here.
It is not about putting a few people in jail; it is about changing a mindset which actively or passively harbour recism.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-29 17:21:12 |Display all floors
This report might give you a fuller picture....

Attacks on Indian students not racial: Australian official

MELBOURNE: The attacks on Indian students in the Australian city of Melbourne were not racially motivated, an official said on Friday, adding "we think they are vulnerable, we don't think it's racial".

Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walshe said there was no indication that a rise in assaults and robberies against Indian students in Melbourne's west was due to "race hate".

He said there was a perception that Indian people were weak prey for criminals. "I don't think they are (racist crimes) in general ... more opportunistic activity.”

"We think they are vulnerable, we don't think it's racial, we think they are a weak target," Walshe told The Herald Sun.

Walshe said the Footscray Embona Taskforce was working with representatives of Melbourne's Indian community to catch those responsible for the attacks.

Three attacks on Indian students have taken place in quick succession, with the first incident being reported May 9.

Sravan Kumar Theerthala, a 25-year-old Indian student who was assaulted on Sunday in Melbourne along with three other students, is battling for his life in intensive care unit in a hospital.

Theerthala, who hails from Andhra Pradesh, went to Melbourne to study two years ago.

The attackers allegedly hurled racist abuses at Indian students and hit them with a screwdriver.

Another Indian student Baljinder Singh was robbed and stabbed in Melbourne on Monday.

Singh had left a railway station when two men carrying weapons approached him and demanded money. As he searched through his bag to hand over his wallet he was stabbed in the abdomen, Herald Sun reported.

He said: "They just laughed when they stabbed me in the stomach. They laughed at me...I was screaming 'don't kill me, don't kill me'."

Australian police on Thursday arrested two teenagers over the beating of yet another Indian student on a Melbourne train.

Sourabh Sharma, 21, was beaten by a group of young men as he travelled on a train May 9, Herald Sun reported.

Sharma suffered a fractured cheek bone and a broken tooth in the attack, which was captured on closed circuit television cameras.He said he was also racially abused and robbed during the attack.

In the latest attack, a student suffered up to 30% burns after a suspected petrol bomb was hurled at him in his home in Sydney.

Kumar was sitting on his bed in the front room of his rented house when an unknown person threw what neighbours say was a small petrol bomb through his window. The explosion and subsequent fire left Kumar with burns to a third of his body.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-29 17:28:23 |Display all floors
And another question... how on earth in a civilized country,  perticularly a selective group of people become vulnarable? Does other Aussies carry a gun or a sword with them all the time so that they can fight off these attacks? Or is it because they never carry a laptop or a mobile phone or an iPod with them?

If this is not recism, we need to change the very definition of recism....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-29 17:30:32 |Display all floors
lets look at an official statement.

Attacks on Indian students not racial: Australian official

MELBOURNE: The attacks on Indian students in the Australian city of Melbourne were not racially motivated, an official said on Friday, adding "we think they are vulnerable, we don't think it's racial".

Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walshe said there was no indication that a rise in assaults and robberies against Indian students in Melbourne's west was due to "race hate".

He said there was a perception that Indian people were weak prey for criminals. "I don't think they are (racist crimes) in general ... more opportunistic activity.”

"We think they are vulnerable, we don't think it's racial, we think they are a weak target," Walshe told The Herald Sun.

Walshe said the Footscray Embona Taskforce was working with representatives of Melbourne's Indian community to catch those responsible for the attacks.

Three attacks on Indian students have taken place in quick succession, with the first incident being reported May 9.

Sravan Kumar Theerthala, a 25-year-old Indian student who was assaulted on Sunday in Melbourne along with three other students, is battling for his life in intensive care unit in a hospital.

Theerthala, who hails from Andhra Pradesh, went to Melbourne to study two years ago.

The attackers allegedly hurled racist abuses at Indian students and hit them with a screwdriver.

Another Indian student Baljinder Singh was robbed and stabbed in Melbourne on Monday.

Singh had left a railway station when two men carrying weapons approached him and demanded money. As he searched through his bag to hand over his wallet he was stabbed in the abdomen, Herald Sun reported.

He said: "They just laughed when they stabbed me in the stomach. They laughed at me...I was screaming 'don't kill me, don't kill me'."

Australian police on Thursday arrested two teenagers over the beating of yet another Indian student on a Melbourne train.

Sourabh Sharma, 21, was beaten by a group of young men as he travelled on a train May 9, Herald Sun reported.

Sharma suffered a fractured cheek bone and a broken tooth in the attack, which was captured on closed circuit television cameras.He said he was also racially abused and robbed during the attack.

In the latest attack, a student suffered up to 30% burns after a suspected petrol bomb was hurled at him in his home in Sydney.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.