Views: 3194|Replies: 3

best body of work [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-5-18 20:23:00 |Display all floors
President Obama didn't shy away from the so-called snub by ASU, Arizona State University. Instead he made light of the honorary degree flap as he delivered the commencement address last night. He congratulated the grads, but told them their best body of work is yet to come

有哪位朋友能帮我翻译以上这段文章吗?我不是很明白这里的flap和best body of work 应该怎么翻译

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-18 22:11:35 |Display all floors
After consulting dictionaries about the possible meanings of the word FLAP and considering the context where it appears, I guess its meaning may be  "controversy", that is, a controversy over the honorary degree.

With regard to how to undertand "the best body of work", it may be understood that the president said the grads have done a good job in university and wished that they would achieve their best perfomrances in society they are about to enter.

For your reference only.

After a futher thought, especially in respect to the word "but", I think the "best" is used here quite differently from its normal meaning, and might roughly be understood as "the majority", or the daunting part of their work, that is, their actual work after graduation may prove challenging for them.

[ Last edited by linjian at 2009-5-18 10:16 PM ]
Burning Alone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-19 10:50:45 |Display all floors
同意楼上的解释.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-19 19:21:39 |Display all floors
I can not agree you more.Thank you!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.