Author: expatter

Dharamsala "Hell on Earth" [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-4-3 14:52:09 |Display all floors

Heaven Sent

We always have to be careful how we read a source and be aware of the motive of the writer.

We can see that the source is sympathetic to the China cause and, the writer is an academic.

According to The New York Council for Humanities he is described thus:  

Professor A. Tom Grunfeld

SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor, Empire State College, A. Tom Grunfeld is SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor at Empire State College of the State University of New York. He is a historian who specializes in the teaching of modern East Asian history with an emphasis on China and Tibet. He has been traveling and living in that region since 1966. He has published several books and over 150 articles and book reviews including The Making of Modern Tibet. He has lectured and presented papers at academic conferences in numerous countries around the world.

I just thought this article was interesting as even if only a small part is true then that leads us to think more about what is really happening and how that correlates to the present.

We can see an immediate link in the border war that was fought in 1962 between China and India and the involvement of the US in Asia from the mid-50's to the early 70's.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-3 15:15:47 |Display all floors

Thanks for the info

I was just googling for info on Mr. Grunfeld.  It seemed kind of odd to me that I have never heard of him.  Thanks again.
Confucius - Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-4-3 15:28:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2009-4-3 15:52

expatter,

Thanks for posting this. It is an highly interesting read. I admit that I didn't know that the D L  established medieval T b  on Indian soil. What I find even more shocking is that modern India's government does permit the misuse of her territory for such dubious activities. I believe that India still has a long way to go before it can be considered a modern nation. Unbelievable, really.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-4-3 15:34:13 |Display all floors

Heaven Sent

It seems that this writer is indeed very interesting.

I just happened upon a paper from him which is highly critical of the situation in Tbet and how it arose.

Obviously not a paid stooge then.

Although, his final answer to the problem is actually I believe too simplistic.

Still very interesting though.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-3 15:35:07 |Display all floors
Expatter,

Thanks for the valuable information. Those Shangri-la seekers should know this truth and stop their crying of the lost "Shangri-la".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-4 14:28:34 |Display all floors

I hope Mr. Grunfeld is wrong...

Though I am not a fan of the DL, it is heart breaking to read the inhuman conditions those children are in.  Though I don't know much about Mr. Grunfeld, I have no reason to doubt this article of his, considering the dire situation in India.  This is also my first insight into the well being of the Tibetans in India since the failed resistance.  If the Tibetans were living well, I am sure that the west would use it as propaganda to support their view that Tibet was a Shangri La.  So I must applaud Mr. Grunfeld for his courage to seek and expose the truth.  I am confident that it will be people like Mr. Grunfleld who will represent the west in the future.
Confucius - Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-4 17:28:28 |Display all floors

Seneca

Oh dear.

I just thought there was a certain irony in it to use a pre-coined phrase.  :)

Can I recommend you Google for the answer on your question about the author.

A. Tom Grunfeld

I have used a point of view that has been given by another person who again is an author.

If you can show that he is a charlatan, then all well and good.

I certainly will not take it personally.

This time I am truly disappointed. I was hoping you would notice something else.

Maybe later I will point it out to you.   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.