Author: augusten

Racism in Australia [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-4-4 22:08:31 |Display all floors
From lebeast:
Racism is experienced, even amongst white people, though the schoolyard is usually where it ends. As adults, certain forms die out. Certain dispositions persist.

But where do these school kids get their racist ideas from?

Greeks, Italians, Lebanese and Asians have all copped it at some time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-4 22:12:19 |Display all floors

The bigoted birdbrain describing himself, again

Emu says:

"HELLO................................

IDIOT !"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-4 22:55:47 |Display all floors

Cheap, racist politics

From augusten:
Yellow peril was a racist term commonly used in the early 1900s, when many Australians feared Asia's large population coveted their country's wide open spaces and was intent on invading.

Even in the late 1900's this "yellow peril" threat was embraced by John Howard in order to win an election.

Seems those following him as leaders of the "Liberal" party are swimming in the same sewer.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-5 00:17:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by peterb at 2009-4-4 21:56
"Voterigger" isn't Finnish, as even he admitted so previously.  

Care to show where I revealed my nationality, oh Australian one?

Originally posted by peterb at 2009-4-4 21:56
He/she/it is probably the ghost of a western jerk wasting his time here, just like the birdbrain.

You are an Australian from Wollongong ... so ...

1) you are a Westerner
2) by nature of this thread you are probably a racist
3) it appears you are likely to be a jerk too

So instead of snuggling up to chang and his racist clown crew, why not come clean and admit that you are exactly the same as those whom you pretend to dislike?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-5 00:20:04 |Display all floors

Oh dear ...

Originally posted by buddy35 at 2009-4-2 14:23
voterigger does not have the intelligence to form an "opinion"!

He is a dumb Anglo.

Buddy35 aka changabula (a racist Indian) who cannot speak, read or write Chinese is entirely fed by cut'n'pasting Google search results.

You make wchao37 envious

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-5 06:58:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by voterigger at 2009-4-5 00:17

Care to show where I revealed my nationality, oh Australian one?

You are an Australian from Wollongong ... so ...

1) you are a Westerner
2) by nature of this thread you are probably  ...

That's right, you never revealed your nationality- so why does a non-entity like yourself take on a Finnish avatar on CDBBS?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-5 07:08:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lebeast at 2009-4-4 20:16
Australia as it is right now, is a culture of migration and in its present incarnation, it differs in this respect to China. ...

Well written, Lebeast.

When I was at a state primary school, in a dairy farming and fruit-growing area, my classmates came pretty much only from Anglo-Australian and Dutch backgrounds. There were also a few Yugoslavian families in the area whose kids went to a different (Catholic) school.
Of five adjoining farms to ours , three were Anglo-Australian, one Dutch* and one Yugoslav*.
(* The parents were born overseas, but most of the kids were Australian born. The parents migrated in the late 1950s or early 60s)
As far as I am aware there was no "ethnic" tension at all. What "prejudice" we kids had was based on which school you went to!
So Protestant and Catholic kids who went to the state school, would yell abuse at the kids who went to the catholic school, or the state Tech College in another town, and vice versa.

At high school the mix expanded to include those of Italian and Greek backgrounds as well as people from Eastern Europe.

My close circle of friends included a Polish born kid, one of some Italian heritage, another of Pacific Islander or Indigenous background, and plenty of anglo and some freckly Irish.

A later school friends included more Greek and Italian kids as per the school's mix.

My parent's friends pretty much reflected the mix of the local population.
When my mum ran a small business in a nearby town, her business partner was an Australian born woman married to a Dutch immigrant, one of their daughters was a primary school friend of mine.
My mum and her business partner were friends with the proprietors of a Chinese restaurant. The family who owned it were third or fourth generation Australians both mother and father of Chinese background. They had Australian accents as broad as anyone else's and spoke no Chinese. The sandwich shop next to my mum's clothing shop was owned by two young women, one anglo-Australian the other chinese-Australian.

Nobody pretends that there has been no racism in Australia, but in plenty of places here, daily life goes on with people from all over the world getting along, as Australians, without a second thought about skin tone or ethnic background.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.