Author: zhoupu

Peace Conference in South Africa Canceled for Dalai Lama [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-3-26 20:35:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2009-3-26 20:33

And hopefully those spineless softies get evicted from Parliament!

I didn't know that Tutut is a member of South Africa's parliament.   Thanks for the info and of course I agree with you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-28 05:18:37 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-28 07:34:46 |Display all floors
Tutu is not a member of parliament but he is commonly thought of by South Africans as the moral conscious of the nation.  So when he criticizes some one or the government everyone pays attention.  

It seems that there is a clear consensus here in South Africa that what the government did to deny the Dalai Lama a visa was wrong but there are disagreements as to why it was wrong.  As the Finance Minister Trevor Manuel said that in South Africa "to say anything against the Dalai Lama is, in some quarters, equivalent to trying to shoot Bambi [or a panda]."  A lot of people think that it is an example of China interfering in the domestic affairs of South Africa and so it is a violation of South African sovereignty.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-3-28 10:39:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by indigo8 at 2009-3-28 08:34

Indigo8,

Thanks for your explanation, I appreciate it.
I don't know whether the government of South Africa gave in to interference of China or not. I condemn any interference in domestic affairs of sovereign nations. I'm sure that you also condemn the interference of foreign powers and the D.    L. into China’s domestic affairs. Thanks again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-28 15:17:03 |Display all floors
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-3-28 16:07:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by iamnaive at 2009-3-28 16:17

How can China ever engage in meaningful negotiation with such a "bad person".

I have never seen such diverse opinion of a popular person.

A good question. Pinochet was also useful to the West, so was Franco. They both were considered to be useful tools. Were they nice guys or mass murderers? I leave this for you to judge.

How come that the Chinese government maintains such a bad impression of the DL whereas the whole world is admiring him ?

Strange - makes me think, something wrong with the Chinese ...

Nothing wrong with the Chinese way of thinking. Would you like somebody to share your home with if he intends to stab you in the back?

I believe this answers your question, doesn't it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-28 16:18:44 |Display all floors
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.