Views: 21231|Replies: 109

Can money bring happyness? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-3-14 20:48:33 |Display all floors
The recent discuss about rich and poor on the forum reminded me the debate of ‘can money bring happiness’ in my head for a long time.   I decided that money can bring us limited happiness, but it can’t fundamentally change how we feel.  Do you agree?

After hearing the story below, I thought I understood a little better of both arguments.

- Money can’t bring happiness - For the rich, it’s hard to tell if the people around them are true friends or just want their money.  It’s very sad for not being able to trust anyone and not having true friends.

- Money can bring happiness - For the girl in the story below, money can buy her happiness of being able to visit and spend time with her friends.

The girl had been close friends with a wealthy couple for a long time.  They moved far apart after her graduation and their retirement to a remote small town.  The couple had visited her a few times.  Later on, they asked her to visit them and offered to pay the travel expenses, since they couldn’t travel anymore due to their age.  

She had made excuses for not visiting because she didn’t have money for the tickets and didn’t want to accept their money either.   Unfortunately, the gentleman passed away unexpectedly.  She felt terrible for not seeing him before his death.

She didn’t want the same thing happen again with the lady.  So she managed to come up with enough money and visited her.  During the last day of her stay, the lady sat her down and asked her why she visited all of a sudden.  In between the conversation, it finally dawned to her that the lady suspected that the purpose of her visit was asking for money.

After she had left, the lady realized that her friend sincerely wanted to see her and didn’t want any her money, she asked the friend to visit her again.  The girl would be very happy to visit her friend.  But now she is sad because she truly can’t afford the travel expenses once a year, she could not accept the rich lady’s offer of paying it, and she doesn’t want to make up excuses either.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-14 21:22:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Kbay at 2009-3-14 21:01
Only a liar or optimist says nah!
Money can bring happiness to one's self and others if properly used and managed.

For a truly unhappy person, no amount of money can make that person happy.  

One can tell from the suicide millionaires and the higher divorce rate (higher than the poor people).

Their high drug use rate also tells us that they are lonely, unhappy and need something to fill those empty spots in their lives.

Once a rich person told said that "money can't buy happiness; it can only make your life more comfortable'.  I thought he spoke truly from his heart.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-14 21:36:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Kbay at 2009-3-14 21:25
A suicide millionaire by definition is an insane person!

Not all of them are.  Some of them simply can't bring themselves to happiness and enjoy lives.

For some, the money also brings bad things to their lives, such as drug and alcohol, and sometimes these lead to depression.

I know a self-made millionaire whose wife became an alcoholic, the kids became drug addicts.  He felt his life was a mess and killed himself.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-14 21:47:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Kbay at 2009-3-14 21:39
Are you very rich and unhappy?
I can help you!
I can help you to deplete your wealth. You will then be very happy.

You are totally missing the point!  

There are happy rich people and there are happy poor people.  

At the same time, there are unhappy rich and unhappy poor too.

The point is money can't simply buy people happiness.  Happiness has to come within, not from monetary wealth or outer possessions!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-14 23:53:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broadscan at 2009-3-14 20:48
The recent discuss about rich and poor on the forum reminded me the debate of ‘can money bring happiness’ in my head for a long time.   I decided that money can bring us limited happiness, but it ...

In my view

Money is not the deciding factor

Human beings are

Money is only a tool

If the person uses money "wisely"

It will bring happiness

However

Nothing is forever

Including happiness

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-14 23:55:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broadscan at 2009-3-14 20:48
The recent discuss about rich and poor on the forum reminded me the debate of ‘can money bring happiness’ in my head for a long time.   I decided that money can bring us limited happiness, but it ...

In my view

Money is not the deciding factor

Human beings are

Money is only a tool

If the person uses money "wisely"

It will bring happiness

However

Nothing is forever

Including happiness

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-15 00:17:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Kbay at 2009-3-14 21:25
A suicide millionaire by definition is an insane person!

There are many reasons for a person wanting to take his/her life

Mental illness is one

There are many attempted suicides by young and old people, rich and poor, fat and thin, etc...

Many are not successful

A great number of attempted suicides are ways people in desperate needs calling out for help

There are depressed people, hopeless people, desperate people, etc...

They are

Depressed rich people,

Depressed poor people,

Hopeless rich people,

Hopeless poor people,

Desperate rich people

Desperate poor people

They all wanting to end their lives...

For many

Wealth and poverty are not really the issue

It is the meaning of life for them has come to an end

Of course physical health,  mental health, emotional health, financial health could be triggering factor(s)

But it is seldom a single factor event!

People don't kill themselves for nothing!           :)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.