Author: expatter

"Hell on Earth" for Tibetans states DL [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-3-28 19:22:55 |Display all floors

Seneca

You will no doubt remember that I stated I did not have time to recode the .flv to an mp4 at that time.

This has remained true at today's date. I do have work to do as well.

That was not the real issue but a side issue. Whether the 1941 film stated 4 provinces, 3 provinces etc, is not that important.

The main point was that the 1941 U.S film clearly showed a map of China with Tbet as part of it.

The commentator clearly talked about Tbet as part of China.  The main point I made.

Today I managed to get a copy of 'The Unveiling of Lhasa' by Edmund Candler.  It is true he is not a Tbetologist but his first hand account is invaluable in that it was printed within one year and fresh material.  This I think is far more compelling than cited, cited material which can be taken out of context.

I have scanned the text and found it to be in diary form and so far quite interesting to read. The prosodic writing style and the obvious constructs he applies to it at that time in 1904 are quite revealing from a point of view of pragmatics.

I will post some titbits under a new thread.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-3-29 22:38:55 |Display all floors

Seneca

Your credentials on this subject are?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-30 01:34:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2009-3-29 22:38
Your credentials on this subject are?

I see a typical brainwashed ostrich or Emu.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-30 20:51:49 |Display all floors

Seneca

Your credentials then are not that of a published writer or expert or even recognized critic.

But rather a bigot towards a point of view that even though you have not read this book it is by your word, not credible.

In other words, you are a layman.

This accredited writer has written nothing that has relevance to Tbet in 1903.

Is this all you can supply, your personal opinion about Candler. Now that is what is called disappointing!

The pragmatics of your language (if you know what that is) reveal your loathing towards this tome and topic stance.

Is this enough to prove something, or do have some reviews to share?

Please don't inform me that you do not like the book again. That is very childish.

That is not enough unless you have credentials to prove your accreditation for literary comment.

Oh, I would suggest you read the book you might be surprised and maybe not so disappointed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-5 17:19:08 |Display all floors

Seneca #44

The provinces mentioned in the 1941 American War Department documentary that you requested were:

China Proper. On the map it looked like the mid-Southern area below the Great Wall.

Manchuria in the East.

Mongolia in the North.

Sinkiang in the North-West

Tibet in the South-West.

That makes five and therefore all the information I stated is up to date.

As I stated in that previous post, in 1941 it was very convenient for the U.S to declare Tbet as part of China.  
If we use that as how the situation was around the mid 20th century then the events of 1949 make sense.

Actually, I might try and dig the picture out of the doco and place it with some text from same.

Just a matter of time though at the moment.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.