Author: expatter

"Hell on Earth" for Tibetans states DL [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-3-17 22:27:13 |Display all floors

Satsu

Like these?            

(---"---)

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-3-17 22:32:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2009-3-17 23:27
Like these?            

(---"---)

Isn't it more like this?    (---"---)      (Made in T a r am tala la )

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-3-25 11:01:12 |Display all floors

Hell on Earth?

Hell on Earth was the land known of in the West as Shangri La.

Hell on Earth is a system where religious people promulgate their own high ideals while others suffer.

Hell on Earth is poverty and serfdom for the masses.

Hell on Earth is personal abuse and torture by the state.

Hell on Earth is starvation and usury.

Hell on Earth is the lack of recourse to the ruling powers.

Hell on Earth is being a vassal.

How can the DL the supposed leader of Shangri La espouse the words, "Hell on Earth".

How could he use these words knowing what Tbet was in his time?

A literal Hell on Earth.

Truly shameful with no regard to his own legacy and the religious zealots before him.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-26 05:26:09 |Display all floors
SS, a human-skin drum is a hell.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-26 14:48:06 |Display all floors

Seneca

Hi there,

That is a fair question and thanks for that.

What you request it cited information for my position and I can provide this.

But, I do not want to waste hours of time providing it.

Therefore, I would ask you to provide the proof that your question is relevant and thereby, as you posed the question you should provide cited work to show that you are providing a qualified rebuttal to the statements I provided.

I will then spend my time in giving a more detailed answer.

After all, anyone can ask for proof and provide nothing in return.

My European knowledge provides me a picture of abject poverty across Europe in the 19th and early 20th century for the ordinary person.

"Western Images of China" by Colin Mackerras ( H.K Oxford University Press) provides a good insight by almost all China authors about the abject poverty and struggle of the Chinese people from Roman times.  It does not take a deal of knowledge to apply this to the Tbet region and then know that the monks, some 5% of the population and the overlords lived in comfort whilst the people lived lives of poverty and usury.  Add the images and written statements and then a conclusion can be drawn from a fairly unbiased position.
Couple this with accounts from visitors to Tbet and you have a reasonable vision of that part of the world as it was.  

As for Chinese propaganda versus Western propaganda this needs to be balanced to the reality of the time.  In 1941 China was friend and ally of the U.S and even the government of the U.S made propaganda films showing China as an ally and Tbet as the 5th province of China.  By 1949 the tone had changed and McCarthyism was rife.  By mid 50's the CIA was backing the DL camp and his campaign against China.  This is the real hypocrisy.  Then in 1972 Nixon visited China and this was a positioning of the powers at that time. China's friendship with the USSR changed with the Vietnam and Cambodian struggles and sought the U.S as an ally. You will know of all the political manipulations re Mongolia, Tbet, Cambodia, Vietnam right the way back to the early 20th century and Younghusband.

I make no bones about my disgust at religious organizations of any religion where I see the proselytizers espousing nonsense and suffering from ergophobia.  They seek compliant fools who have a penchant for fidimplicity and bathe them in lexiphonic language .  Thus creating a class of morons or sheeple who believe in a future sybaritic existence.

Look what you have made me do

Go into a rant.  But never mind.

I think that it is a good thing that you have beliefs and ideals and you should keep them and you are entitled to them.

If my opinion is the opposite however, it is nothing personal.

Cheers  

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-26 20:57:21 |Display all floors

Seneca

Hi there,

Would that be, Edmund Candler, The Unveiling of Lhasa, E. Arnold (London, 1905)  This guy was a journalist with the Daily Mail (UK) and accompanied Younghusband to Tbet in 1903-4

No you misunderstand my comment about McCarthyism, or I wrote it badly.  I tried to point out the different phases of U.S policy in relation to China.  That of being a proponent of China in backing Chiang Kai-Shek and even more so in backing China after Pearl Harbour to then suddenly breaking out into communist phobia in the 50's, plus of course we could throw Korea into the pot.  This was then followed by the political musical chairs of the 1970's between China, Russia and America and played on the fields of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

The Morale Services Division of the U.S Services made the propaganda film about the wonderful Chinese and their beautiful way of life and how they were being bombed out of existence.  Part One opened up with the Japs bombing Shanghai in 1937.  It then showed a map of China and distinctly talked about each region including Tbet and as part of China.  Not sure what the others were described as, it's been a while since I saw it.

It was called, "Why we fight" with the Main Title "The Battle of China".  It was on YouTube in several parts.  I have just recovered it from an old storage device and given you the title but the bit I refer to is still in .flv form and I am short on time at the moment.  Maybe tomorrow I will get a converter package and give more details.  The computer is reasonably new and I cannot find all the programs I want to use that quickly at the moment.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-28 15:27:57 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.