Author: happyliyy

Resign before or after finding a new job? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-3-16 12:17:52 |Display all floors
You'd be much better off first getting a new job and then quitting your current one.

Most others here agree with me on this, and have also given good reasons for this.
However, the most important reason has been missed out.

It is easier to get a new job if you are currently employed; it is harder if you have quit your current job.

That is human nature. The new employer would prefer to take someone who is currently holding a job. He does not prefer someone who is currently unemployed.

Reasons?
1. If you are unemployed, it could mean you were not very good, so your old company fired you. (No use trying to explain anything to the new company. It will only make it worse for you.) If you are as good as you say, why would they let you go? That means you cannot be very good. So, sorry. Good luck elsewhere.

2. Human psychology of demand and supply: The value of something is decided by how hard it is to get. The harder it is to get, the greater it's value.
An unemployed person is easy to get. He has no job, and he needs the money, so he is available. So, he has less value. One ad can bring thousands of such people. So, they are not respected.
An employed person is not easy to get. He has a job, is getting an income, so he is not desperate for another job. He will not quit his current job unless we pay him better. That makes his value greater (Hard to get = greater value). So we prefer to try harder to get him.

A company would prefer to pay a higher salary to get an employed person. If you are unemployed, they would not prefer you even if you will accept a lower salary. Or they may pay you very badly. If you accept, they will not respect you while you work with them. So, even if you get the job you may soon hate that one too. The fault will be yours, because you lowered your own value by quitting your previous job first.

This is the most important reason why you should not quit your job first.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-16 12:25:39 |Display all floors
looking for new job while you have one~:)
impossible is nothing'

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-16 12:30:24 |Display all floors
i think it determine your potential.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-16 12:41:27 |Display all floors
cherish the current job first, if you are really not satisfied with it and determined to change a new job. then i think you should think it over. firstly, don't easily quit the current job. then consider what job you want to get, don't be hasty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-16 12:43:41 |Display all floors

Believe Yourself

In my opinion,you should belive yourself,and do what you want to do.First you should comprehend  yourself ; what  you can do and see your specialty.
Obviously ,you should deal with the relationship very well with your boss ;Maybe, someday you will cooperate with his or hers company after you resign
your work. And the most of all ,whatever you decide to do ,don't  regret!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-16 12:45:07 |Display all floors
what you should do now is assess yourself wholely. if you are quit confident with yourself, and you are capale in many aspect. just quit it before. but i suggest you be prudent.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-16 12:47:22 |Display all floors
strongly advice leaving the current employment after you find a now one.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.