Author: expatter

Cannabis, an answer to recession in China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-3-9 15:24:22 |Display all floors
China growing pot would be cool. At least if they find a way to ship it to europe. The prices here are way too high, sometimes over 10 euro per gram in germany. Time to retaliate for the opium wars!! :)

Btw chinese chemical factories are already shipping massive amounts of so called "Research Chemicals" to all over the world. Those chemicals are illegal in some countries, but not in china. Some are synthetical mescaline derivates (phenethylamines, some are strong like LSD), some are more like ecstasy and some are amphetamine like. And it's very cheap.

Recently there was another research chemical appearing on the european markets. There was a "weed mixture" which surprisingly had the same effects as very strong cannabis. For many years no one knew why. Recently a chemicals company examined it and found out it was a chemical cannabis derivate called JWH-018. And guess what, a company in china produces it too. And now that JWH-018 is forbidden in germany, the next chemical is already ready to ship - JWH-073 - which is not forbidden yet.

I think it's funny.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-10 19:02:14 |Display all floors
China growing pot would be cool. At least if they find a way to ship it to europe.

Please don't.  Suffering anywhere is still suffering.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-10 19:29:35 |Display all floors

have to agree with mark here

the last thing the world needs is a billion pot heads demolishing the noodle and rice inventories, let alone the prospect of a horde of crazy chinese, no thanks!

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-3-10 20:40:55 |Display all floors
It seems that the concept of a plant called cannabis with NO drug content cannot get its way past the constructs that are already part of the system and beliefs.

Still, I agree it is pretty hard from a Chinese point of view.

I would still argue the logic and science of it rather then the misrepresentation and fear associated with this plant.

I did post some links and there are quite a few rich resources available.

But it means reading them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-11 09:13:40 |Display all floors
It seems that the concept of a plant called cannabis with NO drug content cannot get its way past..

The issue is control.  (Cannabis-drug) is not going to look much different from (cannabis+drug); if it looks much different, both won't be called cannabis.   If the first gives you profit of one dollar a bunch while the second gives you profit of one thousand dollars a bunch, how sure are we people won't be using the approval given to grow the first to instead grow a zillion acres of the second in their backyards? How many health inspectors will be needed to go from field to field to monitor which is the good cannabis from the harmful cannabis?  Does the inspection officer use a mobile test-kit, stand in the field, pluck a leaf from here, another leaf from there, and test for non-addictiveness? If pollen from bad acreage accidentally falls on good cannabis field, does he order the incineration of the entire harvest?

If you watch the latest series of Rome (cough), the patricians were smoking hemp in their mansions. It was one of the reasons the roman empire fell.

I don't know what's happening at the moment in the 'hemp' fields. If the above is not happening, well and good. But how sure will we be that there won't be people around who will think the possibility above and proceed to make fast but harmful bucks when this agriculture is approved for widespread promotion?

That i think is the big question.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-3-11 13:45:27 |Display all floors

markwu

Thanks Mark. As usual a very interesting post.

First I want to reiterate that I am advocating the plant cannabis as an eco-solution to resources.  A plant which was readily available for thousands of years and did not fall foul until the introduction of man-made synthetics and then became banned.

I find this coincidental and worthy of more research.

On the other aspect of drugs and something which is abhorrent to most people and especially Chinese, I would like to say this.

If we talk about addictive qualities, let us try and get a perspective on our world:

Herion / opiates = instant addiction.  No argument. Illegal. No health properties
Cocain = addictive.  No argument. Illegal. No health properties
Nicotine = addictive and proven by research. No argument. Legal. No health properties
Alcohol = addictive and proven by research. No argument. Legal. It is argued that red wine in small doses is good for you other than that dangerous
Coffee = some believe it addictive. Researchers argue about this. Unknown if there are any health properties
Tea = some believe it addictive. Researchers argue about this. It is argued that tea is a de-toxin and has health properties

Marijuana, the extract of the cannabis plant = some believe it addictive and research is 50/50 on this.  Known and prescribed for asthma and can de-tox lung tissue.

My point is that the plant cannabis is a great eco-resource and was muscled out by plastics and that the case for marijuana addiction is less than cigarettes and alcohol which are legal. According to research more than 40% of Americans and Brits have tried marijuana and there is no case for this to be a class 1 drug.

The research is there but the myth is bigger.

The other thing to consider is what happens when something becomes illegal as in prohibition?

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-11 16:50:15 |Display all floors
It depends on the situation. Some will say, "when in doubt, attack" (Marc Anthony, and see where it got him?). Others will say, "err on the side of caution".  If the situation is stable but one is unsure of the outcome of something new, why throw the dice? Life shouldn't be a gamble especially when the deleterious effect on even one can outweigh the suppression of any conscience by vision of economic gain to many.

Bootlegging is just another form of gambling. One is alcohol, the other greed.  Both pander to the human weakness of addiction. Anything addictive will ultimately turn into obsessive behavioral distortion. Lives get destroyed, families disrupted, societies destabilized.

While coffee, tea and tobacco are poor cousins to the kick from hallucinogens, they are equally addictive. Yet there is a threshold in their consumption beyond which marginal returns reach a plateau with increasing consumption. The mind and body just faze out from the concentration; every cell gets narcotized. And although the kick reaches some equilibrium, the destruction of health continues on its inexorable journey until everything ends.  People have died from caffeine overdose.

Moderation seems to be the recurring message. But then some people will believe that they must constantly be moderate about being moderate. Why that should be so could be due to their hormonal imbalances or upbringing or plain hubris about life.

Stay away from anything addictive or chemicalised. Man was made to drink only mother's milk and fresh water.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.