Author: mariame

China rejects accusation of 'colonialism' in Africa!   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-3-8 14:49:34 |Display all floors

Reply #8 fredius's post

>This is not about colonialism, but about post colonial policy.

No, it is you who ardently desires to make the topic exclude colonialism. Because of course any consideration of that subject leads to "uncomfortable" facts for you. But any rational person understands that Africa's current condition is simply the culmination of hundreds of years of mismanagement, conflict and yes, COLONIALIZATION.

>This attitude to support dictators in order to get a better access to the local wealth.

Oh, you mean the support  that the West has provided to Saudi Arabia, in order to get access to its oil. Yes, indeed everyone is familiar with that. Or are you speaking of coup de tats that the US has maneuvered throughout Latin and South America in order to maintain friendly faces for its economic and "strategic" interests? Well, we are more than ready to talk about that.

>China is doing the same than the West in Africa. In the meantime, you guys refuse to admit it and denounce past colonialism from the West.
You give a good lesson of hypocrisy to the world.

On the contrary. If you had bothered to look just a few inches above your post you'd see for yourself. Of course China is advancing its economic interests. Did you expect China to sabatoge its own economic interests? And of course China denouces past colonialism from the West. Are you saying you do NOT? Are you saying that the 5 million killed by Belgium in the Congo is not worth denouncing? Either man up and admit that was a horrible crime, don't admit it and put on a criminal suit, or shut up and go away. Those are really your only choices.

And as far as hypocracy goes, if both the West and China are looking out for their own interests, and you have admitted as much, why are you complaining about China's activity in Africa? I see no Chinese complaining about the West's current economic activity in Africa. But you complain about China's current activity. Sure, Chinese complain about those instances when the West killed or enslaved millions of Africans, but those are different activities. Unless of course you are going to claim that the genocide in central Africa and slavery campaigns in west Africa are equivalent to China's current activity. And if you do, then by your own admission, that genocide and slavery is then equivalent to the West's current economic activity in Africa as well.

The bottom line is this: when China sucessfully enters areas of Africa using for-profit-business ventures, the West complains that China is exploiting Africans. When China gifts Africans with not-for-profit foreign aid, the West complains that China is buying influence. This flip flopping makes clear that what the West is complaining about is simply China's success. The West has a long history of also using both for-profit and not-for-profit strategies in Africa. But it simply hasn't been very successful. Too bad. You are allowed to try again. But whining about how China is beating the West at its own game is a river of tears that will sprout no fruit.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-9 00:52:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Da_Zhao at 2009-3-8 14:49
>This is not about colonialism, but about post colonial policy.

No, it is you who ardently desires to make the topic exclude colonialism. Because of course any consideration of that subject l ...

I don't deny the role of the West in present African situation.
It doesn't make China's policy toward Africa being right.
The debate should be among the Chinese, but you refuse to analyse Chinese policy in Africa.
That's all

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-10 18:30:53 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-10 18:32:57 |Display all floors
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-10 18:37:45 |Display all floors
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-10 18:44:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Da_Zhao at 2009-3-7 18:35
Then why are you (the West) complaining about China's economic motives? It is after all as you have said what every one else has done. At least China has not physically invaded and militarily occupied these countries as Europe did.

Hi Da Zhou,

I think you'll find that Seneca's point is that two wrongs don't make it right.
Most westerners are well aware of the issues surrounding colonialism, and see the wrongs done by their forebears and wish that the same mistakes are not repeated and that efforts should be made to undo where possible the legacy of colonialism.
Many westerners, for example, volunteer in underprivileged countries as Doctors, Lawyers and Advocates to assist developing countries deal with problems they face in different areas.
A perception that Chinese interests are behaving like the colonialists of old, will not be in China's interests in the medoium to long term.

Originally posted by Da_Zhao at 2009-3-7 18:35
I'm quite certain that any current Chinese expat in Africa has more influence over his/her future than the millions of African "expats" you bought and shipped over to the US while expanding your economic "venture" of that era, aka the conquest of the New World.

As I understand that Seneca is not American, I believe it is irrelevant to link him with the North American slave trade.

Cheers
JB
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-10 19:52:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2009-3-10 18:44

I think you'll find that Seneca's point is that two wrongs don't make it right.
Most westerners are well aware of the issues surrounding colonialism, and see the wrongs done by  ...

Colonialism is nothing new in civilisation. Neither is denial. China is no different in either respect. Looks like humans are up to their old tricks.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.