Views: 30577|Replies: 139

China rejects accusation of 'colonialism' in Africa!   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-3-6 08:45:41 |Display all floors
(Xinhua)
Updated: 2009-03-05 20:41
BEIJING -- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Wu Dawei on Thursday refuted accusations that China's cooperation with African countries is a practice of "colonialism", saying that Sino-African ties are based on mutual benefits.

Wu, a member of the Standing Committee of the 11th National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, said economic cooperation between China and other developing countries had always observed the model of enterprises operating under market-defined conditions with government guidance.

Such economic cooperation would bring benefits to both sides, Wu said.

Noting that some people have demonized Sino-African cooperation as a practice of "colonialism", Wu dismissed the accusations saying those people acted on ulterior motives.

Wu said since the establishment of the New China, the country has always kept close ties with African countries.

He promised that China would expand its help toward the African countries in the future as China gains further development.

I don't think the establishment of mutual understanding through economic cooperation should be called colonism, while the invasion and so-called anti-terrorism are considered as just cause.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-6 23:10:36 |Display all floors
Regretably the article did not state where the accusation came from, though I'm betting it's the West (as usual).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-6 23:12:41 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-7 16:35:18 |Display all floors

Reply #5 seneca's post

>We all know China is involved in African ventures for much the same reasons any other empire or country ever got involved there - economic reasons

Then why are you (the West) complaining about China's economic motives? It is after all as you have said what every one else has done. At least China has not physically invaded and militarily occupied these countries as Europe did.

>Africa is now home to something close to one million of impoverished Chinese peasants plus some get-rich-quick entrepreneurs

I'm quite certain that any current Chinese expat in Africa has more influence over his/her future than the millions of African "expats" you bought and shipped over to the US while expanding your economic "venture" of that era, aka the conquest of the New World.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-7 23:13:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Hot_Ice at 2009-3-6 23:10
Regretably the article did not state where the accusation came from, though I'm betting it's the West (as usual).

Of course... havent' you noticed that China is more about self-praise than about fair self-evaluation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-7 23:24:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Da_Zhao at 2009-3-7 16:35
>At least China has not physically invaded and militarily occupied these countries as Europe did.

This is not about colonialism, but about post colonial policy.
This attitude to support dictators in order to get a better access to the local wealth.
China is doing the same than the West in Africa. In the meantime, you guys refuse to admit it and denounce past colonialism from the West.
You give a good lesson of hypocrisy to the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-8 13:30:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by fredius at 2009-3-7 23:13

Of course... havent' you noticed that China is more about self-praise than about fair self-evaluation?

Not really. I sometimes don't notice stuff. So that colonialism article confuses me 'cos I have no idea to whom China is refuting the accusations at.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.