Views: 3447|Replies: 11

SALE OF LOOTED CHINESE BRONZES GIVEN GO-AHEAD [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-24 12:57:45 |Display all floors
SALE OF LOOTED CHINESE BRONZES GIVEN GO-AHEAD
By Peggy Hollinger in Paris and Kathrin Hille in Beijing
A Paris judge yesterday gave the go-ahead to the controversial sale of two Chinese bronzes looted more than a century ago by British and French troops and now part of the collection amassed by the late fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent.:@

The decision means that the auction planned for Wednesday morning at Christie's in Paris can proceed and the two Ching dynasty sculptures – a rabbit and a rat's head – are expected to fetch between ?m and ?0m ($12.7m, £8.8m).

The queues were forming outside the auction house last night for previews of what is being described in the French press as “the sale of the century” with some 700 pieces of art, glassware and sculpture in the collection.

But the ruling will be a blow to the latest attempt by Chinese authorities to stop the sale of historical artefacts to private collections. Though the action was brought by a French archeologist Bernard Gomez, also head of the Association for the Protection of Chinese art in Europe, it received the tacit support of authorities.

The two bronzes at stake were originally part of a fountain head depicting the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac in the Old Summer Palace, or Yuanmingyuan, near Beijing which was looted by British and French troops in 1860.

The Chinese government as well as the average Chinese citizen perceive the destruction of the palace as the most powerful symbol of a historical humiliation the country suffered when western nations tried to force it open in the 19th century – a perception that plays a central role in nationalist sentiment in China today and in Beijing's interactions with the west.

In past art sales, other parts of the Yuanmingyuan loot were brought home by patriotic entrepreneurs including Stanley Ho, the Macao gambling magnate.

This time, China has refused to buy the bronzes back but argues they should be returned because they ended up overseas illegally. “The Chinese government believes that the auctioning of Yuanmingyuan artefacts runs counter to the basic spirit of related international agreements and will severely hurt the Chinese people's cultural rights and national feelings,” said the State Administration for Cultural Heritage.

Ren Xiaohong, a Paris-based lawyer working on the case, said it was important that France realised that it had an obligation not to allow such historical artefacts to end up in the collections of “private businessmen”.

The association had also asked the French government to step in and buy the bronzes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-24 17:14:09 |Display all floors
China ceded its rights to the pieces a long time ago and reaffirmed that cession on other occasions because it considered itself a "revolutionary state". There was a time when Chinese leadership understood that there are costs to throwing such tantrums as China did from 1949 to 1979 and this is one of them. No court will ever find in favor of China on the issue because, frankly, the rest of the world runs on laws, not decrees from on-high.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-24 19:51:22 |Display all floors

RIDICULOUS

I KOWN THERE ARE MANY RASKALS ,BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN SOMEONE WHO WAS SO SHAMELESS UNTILL TODAY .HOW CAN THEY STOLEN THINGS FROM OTHERS AND THEN ASK FOR AN ECHANGE FOR THAT ,WHAT'S MORE IS THE EXCHANGE PRECONDITION IS TOTALLY UNREASONABLE AND UNBEARABLE.ISN'T IT RIDICULOUS??? OBVIOUSLY...  I  HOPE I HAVE THE POWER TO CONTRIVE TO GET BACK THOSE RELICS BELONGS TO OUR CHINESE PEOPLE .BUT UNFORTUNATELY ,THE ONLY THING I CAN DO IS PRAY........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-24 21:18:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by GREENDIAMOND at 2009-2-24 19:51
I KOWN THERE ARE MANY RASKALS ,BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN SOMEONE WHO WAS SO SHAMELESS UNTILL TODAY .HOW CAN THEY STOLEN THINGS FROM OTHERS AND THEN ASK FOR AN ECHANGE FOR THAT ,WHAT'S MORE IS THE EXCHA ...

Hanlin Yuan Library burned by the Boxers, 150 temples destroyed in Bj, the Forbidden city miraculously saved, a whole patrimony destroyed without regret.
During those times, the looted Art was safe and protected in the West , cherished.
NEVER forget that China itself agreed to give up on looted Art.
Do you know how many sales of this kind did already occured? Thousands...Where were you before Chinese media asked you to stand tall to defend Chinese patrimony? Have you ever complained about the mess which occured in your country less than 50 years ago?
This Chinese Art is cultural inheritance but it is also patrimony of humanity. Let it live and be well preserved.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 00:07:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lanjunfly at 2009-2-24 12:57
SALE OF LOOTED CHINESE BRONZES GIVEN GO-AHEAD

Then what else do you expect from a Norse pirate state such as France?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 00:13:58 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 00:16:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bigstick at 2009-2-25 00:07

Then what else do you expect from a Norse pirate state such as France?

France is also trying to get back looted Art stolen by Germany during WW2 and which are owned by museum.
But us, pirate from the North, never used nationalism or aggresivity to deal with this problem.
You are the pirate who mix a man with its country.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.