Views: 11554|Replies: 33

Should Beijing follow Shanghai to relax household registration system? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-23 09:49:06 |Display all floors
Shanghai annouced Monday a landmark relaxation in its household registration system, making it easier for migrants to get a local hukou, or permanent residency permit.

Those who have held a local residency permit for seven years can apply for a permanent one, according to rules unveiled by the Shanghai Municipal Government on Monday. The applicants should meet several other requirements, including paying income taxes and social insurances, having no history of law-breaking and possessing medium professional qualifications.  The move is expected to help the city to attract talents. However, worries surfaced that the already-crowded mega cities will be even more crowded, exerting a huge pressure on public utilities.

Do you think Beijing should follow Shanghai's move?
Single choice vote, There are a total of 0 people participating in the poll
64.58% (31)
29.17% (14)
6.25% (3)
Your current user group has no poll permission

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-23 10:30:46 |Display all floors

no idea

I have no idea about it as i don't care I have a beijing register or not.
And I am wondering whether the relaxation of registeration is really workable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-23 15:33:06 |Display all floors
The Hukou system is one of those things that the west complains about.  That not all Chinese people are equal.  That it is better to be born in Beijing or Shanghai instead of on some farm in Henan and that no matter how smart you are or what school you go to this stamp of where you are from follows you around.  
But you know if the west is critical of it, It must be because it is a good idea!  Never get rid of Hukous, only make them Stronger!
Didnt Hu say that the goal was to get rid of them by 2025?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-24 03:24:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by idiot8 at 2009-2-23 15:33
The Hukou system is one of those things that the west complains about.  That not all Chinese people are equal.  That it is better to be born in Beijing or Shanghai instead of on some farm in Henan  ...

Well, everything has 2 sides. I'm a Westerner, hence not affected by any hukou system. And from the point of view you are mentioning here, it's really unfair.

At the other hand, if there were no such system, people from the countryside would stream into the cities in a completely uncontrolled manner. Ok, it's like that even now, but I think without hukou system, it would become worse. Which would easily lead to conditions as we have e.g. in some Brasilian cities (above all, Sao Paolo).
I really don't know what to think of it...

But I can be completely wrong, if somebody knows more, I would like to learn.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-24 03:27:53 |Display all floors

Is this a question to flood the local markets...

... to drive down wages?  Or is this an attempt to free up talented tradespeople to help shore up shortages in other cities?  Who knows - but it appears that the powers to be in Beijing are willing to experiment to find a good combonation to help keep overall harmony.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-24 03:34:23 |Display all floors

Using a "hub-and-spoke" approach solves problem

Originally posted by chinadaily at 2009-2-23 09:49
Shanghai annouced Monday a landmark relaxation in its household registration system, making it easier for migrants to get a local hukou, or permanent residency permit.

No, don't remove the control system.

With that sort of a population pressure, the last thing China needs is a few mega-cities, which over time will lead to more con-urbation (cities merging together).

Using a hub-and-spoke system for industries will mitigate the pressure to migrate to urban centres. China has a good and growing transport network, so the hub-and-spoke approach will work well.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-24 04:39:15 |Display all floors

CANT believe that havent done so...

this is a must must system to adopt by any means to have the latest info & stats of the population whereabout; it's so useful not only for town, city, state but as well as gov't in case of emergencies  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.