Author: broadscan

How many hours do you work in a day? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-28 02:14:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broadscan at 2009-2-27 05:25
I was asked quite a few times durin ... I’m pretty sure they thought I was going through some mental/emotional issues.

I have never been to Texas...I visited Florida once...that's how far I went to the Southern direction (beside Los Angeles) of the United States...so I can imagine how hot it can be in Texas during the summer...it was already too hot for me when I was in Los Angeles during the summer!

A sudden change in your behavior would have naturally triggered certain degrees of concern from your colleagues and boss...I can relate to that!

Yes...most people are very nice and kind!

Hahaha....2-hour driving per day is no small potato...it can be amounted to an above average level of mental stress attack ....lunch naps were good remedy for such an emotional/mental stress until you were adjusted to your new routine!      :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-28 13:49:48 |Display all floors

Reply #40 thunderbird's post

...so I can imagine how hot it can be in Texas during the summer...

Well, having leather car seats is the first bad mistake.  The heat burns through your cloth and gets right to your skin if you try to sit on one, not mention the steering wheel...   :Q:'(

I have thought about leaving a few potatoes in my car through a day and see if they will be baked nicely when I am off work.   Yeah, I am going to try it this summer.  

I haven't spent much time in many states either (never been to Canada ).  I have been putting off my travel plans to 2 years from now.  

[ Last edited by broadscan at 2009-2-28 01:51 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-28 14:10:01 |Display all floors
Associated Press  |  September 3, 2007

The average US worker produces $63,885 of wealth per year, more than their counterparts in all other countries, the International Labor Organization said in its report. Ireland comes in second at $55,986, followed by Luxembourg at $55,641, Belgium at $55,235, and France at $54,609.

The productivity figure is found by dividing the country's gross domestic product by the number of people employed. The UN report is based on 2006 figures for many countries, or the most recent available.

Only part of the US productivity growth, which has outpaced that of many other developed economies, can be explained by the longer hours Americans are putting in, the ILO said.

The United States, according to the report, also beats all 27 nations in the European Union, Japan, and Switzerland in the amount of wealth created per hour of work - a second key measure of productivity.

Seven years ago, French workers produced over a dollar more on average than their American counterparts. The country led the United States in hourly productivity from 1994 to 2003. US workers are the world's most productive, but they put in more hours than Europeans to score higher.

Japan is a country where people have to stay an average 12 hours a day at the office. But nobody can stay focused for such a long time. Many Japanese workers are unhappy and not productive.
Belgium or France have strong worker unions, and it's pretty rare to find people working more than 8 hours a day... also, people get 5 to 8 weeks payed vacation a year, and even new father have payed break (2 weeks). But these countries rank among the most productive.
I am happy to see that the US rank number one, it will give US workers pride and courage to face the crisis.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-2-28 14:15:23 |Display all floors
This productivity report is a bit old, isn't it? Let's better wait for the next edition, the depression edition.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-28 14:24:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by fredius at 2009-2-28 14:10

Many Japanese workers are unhappy and not productive.

Fredius :

You are wrong, Jp workers are more loyal,keeping committed to company,hard work,and paying more attention on details, being strict with work.

[ Last edited by loststar at 2009-2-28 02:27 PM ]
Live in the movie!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-28 14:24:37 |Display all floors

Reply #43 satsu_jin's post

SJ-SAN, Is it?
Live in the movie!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-2-28 14:35:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by loststar at 2009-2-28 15:24
SJ-SAN, Is it?

Those who still have a job? Maybe.  I believe that figures generally will change because of the present depression.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.