Author: broadscan

How many hours do you work in a day? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-25 02:03:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broadscan at 2009-2-24 11:43
I hate it now I have to drive 1 hours each way to work and home - 2 hours lost ea day

- well I listen to news - but still.....   

Can't imagine drive longer than 2 hours ea day!  : ...

Driving one hour each way to work is very common in Canada

Don't feel too bad about it!

Many people are sharing your pain!       :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 05:13:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thunderbird at 2009-2-25 02:03

Many people are sharing your pain!      

Thanks.    I guess I was spoiled, only had to drive 15 minutes one way for many years till one year ago.

Trains or buses are better choices than long drives for big city people.  But they are not available here.  
:handshake

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-26 05:01:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broadscan at 2009-2-25 05:13

Thanks.    I guess I was spoiled, only had to drive 15 minutes one way for many years till one year ago.

Trains or buses are better choices than long drives for big c ...

Given that you only had to drive 15 minutes one way

Initially...that must be a big adjustment and shook to you

Yes...15 minutes on the road one way would be very nice   

Long drive to work is a daily risk

Not to mention it is a waste of your precious time

It also means that you have to get up early in the morning

And go to bed early at night      :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-26 06:26:53 |Display all floors

Reply #35 thunderbird's post

Yes, it was a huge adjustment.  I had to take a nap in my car during lunch for the first couple of weeks. lol

One of my colleagues came to knock really hard on the car window one day.  I woke up and saw slight panic
on her face.  She thought I had had a heart attack or something, because it was so hot outside and my windows
were all closed.

"It was already weird not seeing you in your office during lunch, and then I saw you motionless in a hot car", she said.

I stopped taking naps soon after that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-27 00:52:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broadscan at 2009-2-26 06:26
Yes, it was a huge adjustment.  I had to take a nap in my car during lunch for the first couple of weeks. lol

One of my colleagues came to knock really hard on the car window one day.  I woke up ...

It is nice to be able to take a noon nap

I like lunch nap...that's right ... lunch nap is the best   

So refreshing   

Your colleague was very kind and considerate  to check on you

The temperature of the car interior can reach over a 100 degrees with the window closed in a hot day

Why give up such an enjoyment in life if you can do it safely?     :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-27 05:25:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thunderbird at 2009-2-27 00:52

It is nice to be able to take a noon nap..
Your colleague was very kind and consid ...   

Yes, it's great to take a noon nap.  It's just I've been working through lunch for over 5 years.  Everyone is expecting me being there, especially the boss.  I was asked quite a few times during the napping days "Are you oook?" (the words were careful and slow, with concerned look on their faces).  

I’m pretty sure they thought I was going through some mental/emotional issues.

On top of that I can't take a nap during summer - being in Texas of over 100F everyday.  

My colleagues are all very nice.  Two of them once came asking for my car key. "You got a flat tire,” they said, with one hand reached in front of me waiting for the key.  I think I had tears in my eyes when I hand over the key.   

Have you ever been in Texas?  Most people are very kind and friendly.  When we first moved here we were surprised how helpful they were.  The store owner would tell you" Mam, I don't have this item, but the store ABC should have it.  You know how to get there?"  Then he'd clearly give you the directions.

Once my husband took his lab out for a lunch.  When he pulled out his credit card for the bill, he was informed that they didn't take any credit card.  Needless to say, he was so embarrassed because he knew he didn't have any cash or check.  The restaurant owner didn't wait for him to explain and told him that he "can pay later when you get a check or cash".   My husband said to me later "Can you imagine that? He was looking at this Chinese face who spoke with an accent, owed him over $100, yet let me leave??"  

This restaurant has been his favorite ever since.   :D

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-28 02:11:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broadscan at 2009-2-27 05:25

Yes, it's great to take a noon nap.  It's just I've been working through lunch for over 5 years.  Everyone is expecting me being there, especially the boss.  I was asked quite a few times durin ... I’m pretty sure they thought I was going through some mental/emotional issues.

I have never been to Texas...I visited Florida once...that's how far I went to the Southern direction (beside Los Angeles) of the United States...so I can imagine how hot it can be in Texas during the summer...it was already too hot for me when I was in Los Angeles during the summer!

A sudden change in your behavior would have naturally triggered certain degrees of concern from your colleagues and boss...I can relate to that!

Yes...most people are very nice and kind!

Hahaha....2-hour driving per day is no small potato...it can be amounted to an above average level of mental stress attack ....lunch naps were good remedy for such an emotional/mental stress until you were adjusted to your new routine!

:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.