Views: 12301|Replies: 106

How many hours do you work in a day? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-21 07:45:27 |Display all floors
In the U.S., one is expected to work more than 8 hours a day in most professional jobs.  It's very common here that people take work
home after more than 9/10 hours in the office.  I don't remember the last time I only needed to work 8 hours a day.

On the other hand, it seems that my European friends are always on vacation and they say they are more efficient than their U.S.
counterparts.  

I heard that many Chinese professionals have to work long hours too.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 07:52:29 |Display all floors

18 to 24

is money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 07:57:40 |Display all floors

It depends

Since the work character, i have to work till night sometimes,
and rest all day long the certain day. So it decided by the work it self.

[ Last edited by lizhnj at 2009-2-22 06:17 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 08:26:57 |Display all floors

thirty five hours work week...

mon thru fri for 7 hours a day...and allow me to break it down my schedule for you:

1-come in the mornin turn on my computer, have some coffees & open up chinadaily to see which kokoos have the loudest say & signin on QQ (that's like 2-4 hrs)
2-take a leak & chat with colleagues  (lost somewhere for an hour)
3-call mami to see what's up with her (half an hour)
4-oh shet lunch break comin up
5-comin back from lunch (an hour and a half)
6-check emails again & visit youtube site to cheer myself up a little before headin home for the day

BTW...i run a very tight schedule at work & not sure about you folks  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 08:34:31 |Display all floors

Reply #2 betrayed's post

We are not paid for the extra hours, it's just expected.  If you don't work long hours, you are considered not a good employee.  I know
someone who was demoted after she gave birth to her baby girl and couldn't work 60 hours/week as she previously did.

This is a very unhealthy situation.  I often feel inadequate in everyway - feeling guilty not spending enough time with kids and hubby, feeling bad that I don't visit my parents often, or call friends periodically, even feel I should have done more for the job.

Maybe it's just me, other people maybe able to handle all this without any problems.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 08:38:40 |Display all floors

Reply #4 pjtran's post

lol.  It looks like I just need to find the right job!   Well, i'll try after this recession.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 08:39:21 |Display all floors

No it is not just you, it is all of us

but now with the difficult situation

better to just work and work and hope you are still there

when the mess is over

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.