Author: mariame

To ban the fireworks or not? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-13 13:19:44 |Display all floors
[quote]Originally posted by yuan_zcen at 2009-2-13 10:34

Yes,we just believe every thing has two sides,good and bad ,,,
while keeping the traditional stuff should take some practical measurements and education for loweing the death and injuries.
***always to be yourself***

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-13 14:55:18 |Display all floors

Alcohol kills more people than fireworks.....why not ban alcohol?

The real problem isn't the fireworks.  It's a mixture of many things.
How come we don't ask ouselves these questions......
Why can't we make the fireworks safer?
Or why can't we make the buildings more firework friendly?
Why can't we set up a system to regulate the use of fireworks that are consider firehazard or dangerous?  
If the wind blew down your house would you blame the wind?
Confucius - Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-13 15:09:01 |Display all floors
I think it is better to ban the fireworks if we have no other alternatives. There are strict regulations with the fireworks ignition. But with slovenly supervision of the relevant departments and irresponsible actions of certain people, it is recommendable to ban it completely.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-13 15:25:48 |Display all floors
Dont ban them, but perhaps regulate them further.  
The CCTV hotel was a case of CCTV not abiding by the regulations.  They were using larger fireworks than they were allowed.  So that disaster would not have happened if CCTV had simply followed the laws already in place.

I think that 15 days is a little long to be setting off fireworks, I would prefer 1 day for new year and 1 day for the lantern festival but i suppose 15 days is ok.  Again the problem is that before lunar new year and even now after the lantern festival people are still setting them off here in Beijing.  How long is enough?

I also think that the areas that you can lite them should be limited a little more.  Walking around at night is a pain on sometimes narrow sidewalks as people keep lighting firecrackers in your path preventing you from moving forward.  Perhaps every block should have a parking lot or large corner of pavement set aside as a fireworks zone complete with a bucket of water and a trash can.

My final remake has to do with something I saw right outside my window.  Stupid people!  They are everywhere, not exclusive to beijing or china but there were some outside my window and they decided to turn the launcher boxes upside down and give them a try.  As you can expect the first firework launched straight down into the ground and blew up, setting off the entire box on the ground making a huge boom!  Shreds of burning paper went everywhere starting several small fires.  This was not enough for the inconsiderate people so they kept lighting more.  Eventually one went off near a dry shrub and started a rather larger fire, perhaps 3*2 meters that then everyone had to stop what they were doing to try and extinguish.  After this they continued to launch fireworks in this unsafe manner.  If this is the behavior inside Beijing, five blocks from Zhongnanhai, how is the rest of the country acting?  I dont really have a solution for stupid people, no where in the world does but perhaps with the above "firework zones" things would be better.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-13 15:42:22 |Display all floors
It is not resonable to ban the firecrackers which symbolizes the happiness and passed down from generation to generation. All that we need to do is to fire ignite the fireworks correctly.  The cause of the tragedy is people's wrong operation and little awareness of safety. Only personal opinion.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.