Views: 2781|Replies: 3

Facing Foreclosure ? Don’t Leave. Squat! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-7 00:20:17 |Display all floors
不用搬,做钉子户!

太口语化了吧,还有更好的翻译么?主要是squat的翻译。
===================

CONTEXT:

She criticizes the bailout’s failure to protect homeowners facing foreclosure. Her advice to “squat” cleverly exploits a legal technicality within the subprime-mortgage crisis. These mortgages were made, then bundled into securities and sold and resold repeatedly, by the very Wall Street banks that are now benefiting from TARP (the Troubled Asset Relief Program). The banks foreclosing on families very often can’t locate the actual loan note that binds the homeowner to the bad loan. “Produce the note,” Kaptur recommends those facing foreclosure demands of the banks.

Now, she is recommending a radical foreclosure solution from the floor of the U.S. Congress: “So I say to the American people, you be squatters in your own homes. Don’t you leave.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-8 06:36:11 |Display all floors
squatting in a property is Someone who is living there without paying rent and refusing to leave, vacant properties are frequently taken over by squatters which the owners may find very hard to get rid of

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-8 08:23:13 |Display all floors
I didn't read the article very carefully, but if I am not wrong, the "squatters" referred to here are homeowners who cannot pay their mortgages as quite often happen during the subprime crisis.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-8 16:00:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by littleboat at 8-2-2009 00:23
I didn't read the article very carefully, but if I am not wrong, the "squatters" referred to here are homeowners who cannot pay their mortgages as quite often happen during the subprime c ...

You are right, what they are suggesting is because many of the actual loans were repeatedly sold on to different organisations and it is the final organisation or group of organisations who ultimately can order the repossession of the property, as these organisation could be foreign companies which have gone bust, been taken over and can be nearly impossible to identify, the writer is suggesting that in the event of your home being repossessed you can simply refuse to leave  and "Squat" on the basis nobody knows who the debit is owed to.

Maybe it could work

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.