Author: littleboat

was compounded??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-1-31 12:23:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lateblue at 1-31-2009 12:13

I am not sure we need waste our time on this. This is not a proper sentence: In proper English, "compounded by" should be followed by a secondary factor that made things more serious, ...

I guess there is some misunderstanding on your part about this sentence.  The proper division of the sentence is something like this:

[This loss in confidence that began with the credit and financial crisis] [was compounded] [by the end of last year] [as evidence confirmed that each of the main economic blocs globally was mired in recession].

In the sentence, "by" is not a collocation of "compound" but belongs to "the end of last year".  So I think the original is idiomatic and natural.
Burning Alone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-31 15:27:38 |Display all floors

discussion

"compounded by sould be followed by a secondary factor...not by time"  is an incorrect  comprehension.

First,  " compounded by '" is not  a fixed phrase . The preposition  by is combined with the following
  noun and so a prepositional phrase is formed.
      Secondly,  "compounded should be followed  NOT by TIME",Why?  It can be followed  "by +  noun  as a    subject   or  an object  combinede with it "  and  "by+ noun to indicate time."  When was it compounded ? It    was  compounded by the time of the end of the last year.
      We should not  know only one factor but ignore the other when we consider a problem.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-31 17:40:49 |Display all floors
去年年末,由于迹象显示全球各主要经济板块均陷入衰退泥沼,由信贷和金融危机导致的投资者信心受挫愈加恶化。

做金融翻译的人可以看看路透社的网站,为了用最少的文字传达最大量的信息,他们连中文里的标点符号都用的是英文的。

http://cn.reuters.com/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-31 18:54:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by linjian at 2009-1-31 12:23

I guess there is some misunderstanding on your part about this sentence.  The proper division of the sentence is something like this:

[This loss in confidence that began with the credit and  ...

I think the author probably meant what you suggested. However, this is still not a proper sentence. You need at least two things to "compound". You cannot compound one thing. In other words, you can say "A is compounded by B" or at least "A and B" compounded, but it is improper to say something like "A is compounded as B occurs".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-31 18:59:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wangyansong at 2009-1-31 15:27
"compounded by sould be followed by a secondary factor...not by time"  is an incorrect  comprehension.

First,  " compounded by '" is not  a fixed phrase . The prepositi ...

I am not saying compounded by must be a fixed phrase. However, without the "by" part, you are missing the additional factor in order for the word "compound" to make sense. See my response to linjian above.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-31 19:10:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lateblue at 1-31-2009 18:54

I think the author probably meant what you suggested. However, this is still not a proper sentence. You need at least two things to "compound". You cannot compound one thing. In other ...

Somewhat I think the part following "as" is exactly the second factor you mentioned that is required for the word "compound" to make sense in the sentence. I do not see why it is improper to say "A is compounded as B occurs", as the message is smoothly conveyed without breaking any rule of grammar or making the reader, at least me, feel unnatural. :)
Burning Alone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-1 04:31:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by linjian at 2009-1-31 19:10

Somewhat I think the part following "as" is exactly the second factor you mentioned that is required for the word "compound" to make sense in the sentence. I do not see why  ...

My friend,

In order to win an argument, it is important to appear that you are certain about what you are talking about, or even portray yourself as an authority. In other words, you should really avoid using such words as "somewhat" (meaning to certain extent), which give the impression that you are not sure. It is possible that you meant "somehow" (meaning for some reason), but even that is not ideal even though that might be how you feel. You want to use a matter-of-fact tone, or try to create doubt in your opponent's mind. Therefore, it is best to replace "Somewhat I think" by "It is well known that" or even "I have known since my kindergarden".

Just kidding!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.