Author: littleboat

predecessors? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-1-28 21:20:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by leebohua at 28-1-2009 13:15
继任者似乎不妥

Its a general collective statement which is common in legal contracts, it does not imply anything improper

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-28 22:05:03 |Display all floors
Hi Richard,

It is very nice to view your pleasant post again and to learn from you. I don't know how much you know about Chinese culture or language, so I cannot be so arrogant to judge. but 继任者 does sound to me 'someone take over a position'. yes, 者usually applies to someone, not a business body.

also, translation shall aim at avoiding confusion ambiguity. to me 继任者 is not a choiced verbiage.

I humbly leave it to your wise discretion. Thank you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-29 04:20:01 |Display all floors

my suggestion

Company X and its successors:
X 公司及其后续公司

or

X 公司及其后续组织

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-29 07:45:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by leebohua at 28-1-2009 14:05
Hi Richard,

It is very nice to view your pleasant post again and to learn from you. I don't know how much you know about Chinese culture or language, so I cannot be so arrogant to judge. but 继任 ...

I am a avid student of all things Chinese but I humbly admit to having a lot to learn especially in reading Chinese.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-29 09:09:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by richardk at 2009-1-29 07:45

I am a avid student of all things Chinese but I humbly admit to having a lot to learn especially in reading Chinese.

likewise, i am all about English and dream to speak like you.

edward's translation is good.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-29 22:26:51 |Display all floors
继任者已经是约定俗成的译法,大家都这么译,我就跟着用了,管它贴切与否,正确(与既定说法一致)才是最重要的。

TO RICHARDK:

As to the meaning of servant, servant does not cover contractor.  Please find this explanation from Law.com:

servant
n. an employee of an employer, technically one who works for a master. A servant is distinguished from an "independent contractor" who operates his/her own business even though spending much time on the work of a particular person or entity. The servant has established hours or piece work, is under the direction of the employer even as to details, cannot work for competitors and acts for the benefit of the employer rather than for himself/herself. The employer of a servant must provide to the servant (employee) worker's compensation insurance, Social Security coverage, make income tax deductions, and provide benefit from various federal and state labor laws. An independent contractor is responsible for such payments and benefits himself/herself.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2009-1-29 22:42:26 |Display all floors

积非成是又一例

一家公司可以有“继任者”吗?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.