Author: chinpatriot

The future of the Chinese language [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-1-19 22:03:18 |Display all floors

you better BELIEVE it that's all i can say...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-20 03:52:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chinpatriot at 2009-1-18 11:32 PM

I never quite understood why China did not adopt the Korean writing script in order to promote literacy among Chinese people over all those previous centuries of Chinese history.

this whole "literacy" business is a myth.  china simplified her writing characters just for that, but the traditional character people in taiwan and hongkong have higher literacy rate.  it's all a matter availability of  education.

also, it's an anti-nature(barbarism) idea to want make everybody literate.  just give them the opportunity, but dont make a crusade out of it.  this attitude is vital to make the language itself the best possible, like the traditional characters, not the trashed simplified characters, which also trash some of the people's character along the way.

aphabets or scripts language just make people more machine like.  so it's a good way in dealing with machines, like computer.  we simply all need to separate and distinct sets of language for each country.  the cultural one must be the primary in china.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-1-20 08:39:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pjtran at 2009-1-19 23:03

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-20 11:36:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by joeching at 2009-1-20 03:52

this whole "literacy" business is a myth.  china simplified her writing characters just for that, but the traditional character people in taiwan and hongkong have higher literacy rate ...

I can read both traditional Chinese characters and simplified Chinese characters,   and to be honest,   the traditional Chinese characters are easier to learn and easier to remember than the simplified Chinese characters.

It is simply not true that the simplified Chinese characters are easier to learn and to understand.

The truth is that the simplified Chinese characters have not been " simplified " at all,   the characters have only  been " shortened " by reducing the number of strokes within each character.     And it should be obvious to everybody that shortening the number of strokes makes it more difficult to learn and to understand the shortened " simplified " character.

For instance,  let us take the English words " marketing" and " definition".

If you " simplify " the words by shortening the English words,   you would end up with " mketg " instead of " marketing " and " dfitn " instead of " definition".   Obviously,   " dfitn " is a lot harder to read and to understand than the traditional " definition ".

Eventually,  people may be able to commit it to memory and to remember that " dfitn" stands for " definition ",   but it is quite a mental strain on the reader.

It is actually quite a mental strain on the Chinese students in China to learn and to remember the simplified Chinese characters.   The Chinese students in China would find it much easier to learn and to use the traditional Chinese characters.

Personally,  when I first started to learn to write Chinese characters,  I was taught the simplified Chinese characters because they were the official Chinese characters from China,   and I only learned the traditional Chinese characters after I had learned the simplified Chinese characters already.

I then found out that the traditional Chinese characters were a lot easier to learn and to understand than the supposedly " simplified" Chinese characters.

Everyday,  I read newspapers and books in both simplified and traditional Chinese characters.

Therefore,  I am pretty much a neutral observer,  especially since I was born in Europe and grew up in Europe.

I can therefore state in a neutral and impartial way that the simplified Chinese characters have not been " simplified " at all,  they have only been " shortened " ,  which makes the simplified Chinese characters much more difficult to learn and to read.

Eventually,  the Chinese people in China should start using the traditional Chinese characters again.

Maybe they could arrange for scholars from both sides of the straits to meet and to agree on a common Chinese set of characters drawn from traditional characters and maybe some of the simplified Chinese characters.

It would make it easier for people around the world to learn to read Chinese characters.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-20 11:49:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chinpatriot at 2009-1-20 11:36

I can read both traditional Chinese characters and simplified Chinese characters,   and to be honest,   the traditional Chinese characters are easier to learn and easier to remember than the  ...

I agree the traditional characters are easier to learn and to read but when you have to write several pages of them a night to keep up study habits they can be a real pain.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-21 12:35:04 |Display all floors

Reply #38 idiot8's post

it does make a person use more of their brains.......i mean to learn the Chinese Script.

no joke!

memorizing 3,000 character in order to be literate is no joke!

it makes them smarter? since capability to solve problems does include capability to REMEMBER and map out a problem.
the Chinese guy can do more complex strategies as a result of the programming, i guess?

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-21 13:12:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chinpatriot at 2009-1-19 07:36 PM

I can read both traditional Chinese characters and simplified Chinese characters,   and to be honest,   the traditional Chinese characters are easier to learn and easier to remember than the  ...

chinpatriot, it's quite a treat for me to read ur about ur experience.  i v been promoting the traditional characters of years on the web, and even try to relearn how to write both types, but most people dismissed me because of my poor chinese.  and also because i was also against the patron saint of reformers, sun yat sen.

well, my gut feeling about the traditional writing characters is its beautiful, like this one given to me by the guy who's responsible for the pingpong diplomacy, tzung tse ton:
tzung.jpg
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.