Author: joeching

FUTURE OF LANGUAGES [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-1-15 01:06:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by idiot8 at 2009-1-14 13:16

so learn Esperanto, the international language

as for Korean becoming an international language you need to study it a bit more if you think it is going to spread across the globe like wildfire.

Why couldn't Korean spread around the world like wildfire?

Various factors can lead to the spread of a language. Some examples follow:

Religion. Arabic spread in part to people wanting to read the Qur'an in the original language. Though granted similarities between semitic languages helped the process along.

Linguistic similarities: Though similarities alone did lead to the spread of Arabic, they certainly helped it along none-the-less. This also holds true for English in Germanic countries, or French in Latin countires.

Imperialism: The British Empire, the French, Empire, etc. This is the main reason English spread, thugh the British and then American empires.

Moral considerations:  In the last few decades, a number of democratic countries have added new laws or decrees allowing schools to teach Esperanto as an alternative to English. The main argument has been justice (i.e. because the language is designed to be easier to learn, it can make a great contribution to allowing for bilingualism among the common people and not just the elites). What many don't realise, though, is that King Sae Jong the Great had created the Koran script from the same moral fabric (i.e. to give literacy to all Koreans regardless of class distinctions). Now when we consider that Esperanto has been added to the curriculum in a number of countries in spite of its economic, political and military insignificance in our world, merely through moral force, then why could the same moral force not compel some Asian countries to add Korean to their syllabi when we consider that Korean is more significant than Esperanto on the military, economic and political fronts. Certainly if moral force alone has been able to propel Esperanto this far, it can certainly propel a politically more significant language just as far. Or do you lack faith in moral force alone? Didn't Confucious himself state that great men look at what is right and not at what makes a profit? Or have you forgotten your culture?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-15 01:09:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2009-1-14 22:00
Joe,
if you can be a little honest with yourself you will have to recognise your agenda is incompatible with the topics you present to us. Or you give them the wrong titles.

Your sole agenda is the dissemination of anti-anglo hate messages. You are jealous of the success story of the anglophone world that has spread its culture beyond its native boundaries.

I am the first to say Anglos should acquire a second, and why not? - a third language. Why not? In South Africa this was no big problem for many of the local native English speakers - they knew Afrikaans, and nowadays some learn Zulu, Xhosa and Venda and whatnot. In Canada some become bilingual English/French.

But why rail and rant against the monolinguals? Most of them won't ever set up home outside if they ever go abroad. They do not invade foreign language territories except temporarily - as visitors.

You had better recognise that small linguistic communities are under serious threat not just from the English but from many other languages. Do you know how many languages are spoken in, say, a country like Sudan? You think it's one language, Arabic? Wrong! IT's over 200 tongues, many of which have no written tradition. Many of them are under threat of going extinct because the native speaking communities get dispersed, reducing the remaining number of monolingual speakers in the community. With the war going on in Darfur their hope of preserving their mother tongue is precarious indeed.

How many languages have gone extinct over the last 50 years? Hundreds!

Most of them because they were spoken by tiny minorities inside large national bodies that speak their own majority language. .  

But Joes is a self-proclaimed 'techie', so he probably just figures that the fewer languages there are, the more efficient the world runs. Look at how he'd me more than willing to mangle the English language to make it more effiicient with no regard to its literature. Clearly he cares not one iota about preserving languages for their cultural value alone.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-15 01:58:20 |Display all floors

Esperanto?!

h ttp://thephoenix.c om/Portland/Life/74918-You-say-what/

Quote:

When Professor Ludovic Lazarus Zamenhof created the language called Esperanto in late-19th-century Poland, he envisioned a world unified under a lingua franca - where concrete walls crumbled, iron fists melted, nations held hands with other nations, and everyone called out cheery "salutons" (hellos) from across indistinct borders.
Driving home the point that it's free of any national affiliation, Esperanto even flies its own flag - a solid field of bright green with a boxed star in the upper left corner. Needless to say, though, Doktoro Zamenhof's dreams of an international second language didn't quite pan out. But dig around any modern-day college campus and you'll likely find a handful of enthusiastic Esperantists who pride themselves on being members of an esoteric global family.

Steven D. Brewer, director of the Biology Computer Resource Center at the University of Massachusetts, has been a fervent fan of the language and its creed for more than 20 years. He now runs an Esperanto club in Amherst and thinks the tongue's obscurity is part of its appeal. "If Esperanto ever becomes as widely dispersed as people originally hoped it would be, it would lose a kind of cachet," he says.

Today, Esperanto is the most widely spoken "planned international auxiliary language" - of which there are several, including Ido and Interlingua - claiming up to two million speakers worldwide. That includes approximately 1000 so-called "native" speakers, usually the children of parents with different native languages who have spoken this common adopted tongue since birth.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-15 02:01:33 |Display all floors

Now the real question is...

... is Joe ranting about English - or is he ranting about American English?  Because the fun part about American English is that is a lot more organic and adaptable - versus your "planned international auxiliary languages".

Sorry Joe - you have witnessed the future, and it is good.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-15 02:52:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bantopost at 2009-1-13 08:33 PM
English is the world's international language.

like the dollar, it's a disaster, when in the hands of brats.

English ... greatest strength.

but most of us r choked from speaking up by the tall wall built around it,like those around america in the name of homeland security.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-15 02:55:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bantopost at 2009-1-13 08:34 PM

Good luck with that!

this forum has no problem with my trashed english.

my natural-english programming language has no choice by trashing english to remove all its deficiencies.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-15 03:10:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by idiot8 at 2009-1-13 09:16 PM

so learn Esperanto, the international language

as for Korean becoming an international language you need to study it a bit more if you think it is going to spread across the globe like wildf ...

a international language is not that big a deal except as an equalizer between the english-speaking haves and non-speaking have not.  it would therefore strictly be for technical pursuit.  english has an early lead bcs it for now dominates the commercial market places.  

actually, i v already constructed the universal computer english language(500 to 1000 words), and learning them would allow anybody to do computing, from programing the computer to doing computer analysis, anywhere from analysis of a pingpong match and also debunk the mit's hoax about winning in blackjack, to optimal design of a space nuclear reactor, which i did for reagon's star war and bush's anti-missile defense system, which he lied to us as jupitor mission.

as to korean, it's alphabetical and it makes more sense as i get deeper into it.  although, i must say it's not taught very well.  most teaching techniques confuses more than help, except maybe for pimsleur.  if i have 3 months to spare, i ll get everybody into speaking/writing korean in 3 months.

the merits of korea is that it has added culture value than the chinese in how it conveys feeling of the speaker.  and it's not only musical, but very modern at that, as it raps( i did cracked my jaw learning to rap for an asia).  finally, it's pronounciation is unambiguous by strict correlation to the alphabets.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.