Author: joeching

FUTURE OF LANGUAGES [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-1-28 12:15:07 |Display all floors
By the way, many schools in Europe are free to choose what second language to teach their students, so why not China?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-28 16:56:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2009-1-27 08:14 PM
ur line of thinking is similar to what many of the asian countries took, when they were convinced that they are "backward" by the kinds of westerners'-arrsss-kissers like sun yat sen a ...

in the last 170 years, technology raped culture.  well, although chiang kai shek did married a 15 year old whom he raped at 13, but i dont think culture and technology will ever get married.

anyway, technology, like god, is only a transient element in the whole human experience.  once we enter the post-scarcity era, which my tech language could easily do, we ll leave all the production and distribution of material goods to the computers.

but culture will take thousands, if not millions of years to develop.  it's where we find meaning to our existence.   but we might never find it if we dont concentrate, or 專.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-29 08:49:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by joeching at 2009-1-28 16:56

in the last 170 years, technology raped culture.  well, although chiang kai shek did married a 15 year old whom he raped at 13, but i dont think culture and technology will ever get married.

anyway, technology, like god, is only a transient element in the whole human experience.  once we enter the post-scarcity era, which my tech language could easily do, we ll leave all the production and distribution of material goods to the computers.

but culture will take thousands, if not millions of years to develop.  it's where we find meaning to our existence.   but we might never find it if we dont concentrate, or 專.

I have to disagree. Technology has always shaped culture. The invention of the pen and of paper helped spread knowledge. The invention of the wheel changed the way we travelled and thought of distances. The invention of sailing vessels shrunk our world further still and exposed our minds to a much wider world too.  The invention of the telegraph was the beginning of the modern world of today. Cinematic technology gave us film. The vinyl record, the tape and CD allowed music to be recorded and travel the world. The telephone allowed us to stay in touch with friends around the world. The computer allowed for electronic art. The internet allows us to exchange ideas right now.

I don't see how it is in any way possible to separate technology from culture. Technology is a part of culture, an extension of culture. The only way to cut technology out of culture would be to cut out technology.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-29 15:11:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2009-1-28 04:49 PM
Technology has always shaped culture.

but last time i looked, it raped culture, replacing barbarism by civilization.

The invention of the pen and of paper helped spread knowledge.

china's favorite was the brush pen, and it's fading away. and paper help the barbarians developed technology.
The invention of the wheel changed the way we travelled and thought of distances. The invention of sailing vessels shrunk our world further still and exposed our minds to a much wider world too.  The invention of the telegraph was the beginning of the modern world of today. Cinematic technology gave us film. The vinyl record, the tape and CD allowed music to be recorded and travel the world. The telephone allowed us to stay in touch with friends around the world. The computer allowed for electronic art. The internet allows us to exchange ideas right now.

u r talking about living fast, a typical fad in barbarism.  how many more centuries can the human race survive?

I don't see how it is in any way possible to separate technology from culture. Technology is a part of culture, an extension of culture. The only way to cut technology out of culture would be to cut out technology.

u got this rite.  the tech language i developed is exactly for the purpose of trivialize technology.  here is something i wrote in my book: CHINA'S LAST STAND

TRIVIALIZING TECHNOLOGY

Technology is the nemesis to culture.  In order to revive culture, that has been trampled by technology in the last 500 years, technology must be subdued from its current role of oppressors of the world's less technologically developed people.  And this is a job for ROBACUS.

ROBACUS, or robotic abacus, is the Chinese abacus made robotic in the Western land of technology.  Now it's coming home after having acquired the best of both worlds -- simple as a Chinese abacus but equipped with the most advance software automation technology developed in the technology capital of  the world, the Silicon Valley of California.

ROBACUS promises to transform the technology landscape of China.

ROBACUS provides an environment where knowledge can be shared by all people.  This is done through automated accumulation, processing and dissemination of information.

ROBACUS makes the computer a full partner in man's pursuit of technology.  And its goal is to make technology so ubiquitous, that it loses its predominance, thus taking away the ability of the few to control the lives of many.  For ROBACUS to do this, it requires a cooperative atmosphere whereby open computing, or sharing of software as well as hardware, can flourish.  This is where China comes in.

China, being a communistic country, has the potential to practice knowledge communism.  While communism of material is not practical, communism of knowledge is a win-win proposition.  It promises to put an end to the rat race in which the rich and powerful always win.

But the capitalists of the world would not have it.  Well, ROBACUS will make it happen anyway, quietly without them even noticing it, because everything in ROBACUS has been made to happen automatically and  transparent to its users and contributors.

ROBACUS also addresses China's dilemma regarding her sacrificing the traditional language for the enhancement of technological development.  As the Chinese language is a tool designed only for cultural, not technological, development, China's recent simplification of her language for ease of use, especially in technical areas, is not only counterproductive in achieving its goal, but also sending a wrong message to the youths to abandon the Chinese culture.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.