Views: 3741|Replies: 8

帮忙看下这句话~ [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-11-22 16:38:02 |Display all floors
It is a measure of the temper of our economic times that this kind of talk now passes for reassuring.

这是本文的最后一句话,本文主要讲各项指数表明美国经济将面临更糟的情况。这个“talk”可能只上文中某机构根据历史数据得出美国经济糟糕的言论。

还有 'it is a ....that ”这样的句式是表达什么意思??

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-22 17:02:44 |Display all floors
You need to break the sentence down. It is referencing the previous sentences that you did not include.

"It is a measure of the temper of our economic times"
Here we would ask the question "what is the measure of our economic times?
The answer is "this kind of talk".

In a shorter method "what is "it"? Answer "a measure of the temper".

"what is the temper"?
"this kind of talk" which is in the previous sentences that you did not give to us here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-22 21:16:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pokikiko at 2008-11-22 17:02
You need to break the sentence down. It is referencing the previous sentences that you did not include.

"It is a measure of the temper of our economic times"
Here we would ask the que ...

I am not quite sure of your answer !  Can  I just split the sentence into two:This kind of talk is a measure of the temper of our economic times. This kind of talk passes for reassuring. ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-22 21:20:23 |Display all floors
I am not quite sure of your answer~Can I just split the sentence into two:This kind of talk is a measure of our economic times. This kind of talk passes for reassuring. ?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2008-11-22 23:14:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pokikiko at 2008-11-22 04:02 AM

Here we would ask the question "what is the measure of our economic times?"
The answer is "this kind of talk".

The answer is "this kind of talk now passes for reassuring".

The sentence can be re-written in a more direct way:

【The fact】that this kind of talk now passes for reassuring is a measure of the temper of our economic times.

-

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-23 15:24:50 |Display all floors
"We do know what leading indicators look like going into a depression," says Acuthan — ECRI has a monthly index that goes back to 1919, a period covering not just the Great Depression of the 1930s but a severe if shorter downturn in 1920 and 1921. "The magnitude of decline this index shows at the onset of a depression is materially worse than those today."

It is a measure of the temper of our economic times that this kind of talk now passes for reassuring.

Given that there are two versions of answers, I give the end part of the essay which may be helpful understanding the sentence.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-23 17:32:37 |Display all floors

It is something about grammar that you need to know

What you need to know is grammar

In your sentence 'It is a measure of the temper of our economic times that this kind of talk now passes for reassuring', IT is the subject, but it refers to 'this kind of talk (now passes for reassuring)'.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.