Views: 3023|Replies: 10

A small carpenter fooled NingXia and Inner Mongolia! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-11-19 15:49:41 |Display all floors
A CARPENTER from central China has been sentenced to life for swindling the government out of more than 1.7 billion yuan (US$249 million) in a series of project scams in Huhhot, capital city of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, and Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region.
The carpenter, Wang Xiniu, was sentenced by the People's Higher Court of Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region. Wang, 50, also operated under six different names, registered six different companies, and had six wives.

The court heard Wang presented the local government of Huhhot with a project to build a 169-meter-tall skyscraper in the city's downtown area in March 2005, Xinhua news agency reported.

Wang told the Huhhot government that he was the board chairman of the Hong Kong-registered Golden Eagle International Group Investment Co. He said the project would need two years of funding and a total investment of 5.3 billion yuan.

The Huhhot government listed it as one of its most important projects and demolished the four-year-old 11-story police headquarters, the city's former government office building, a shopping mall, a hospital building and three police dorms to provide Wang with enough land.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 15:51:47 |Display all floors
Further investigation revealed that Hohhot was not Wang's first victim: He played the same trick in 2001 in Yinchuan, the capital city of Ningxia Autonomous Region. In a string of scams conducted from 2001 to 2007, Wang fleeced banks, construction contractors, and private investors for a total of nearly 1.8 billion yuan.

Wang explained his strategy in a few choice quotes:

"Get in good with big leaders, hold up big banners, and make big money."

"Archimedes said that if you gave him a pivot point he could move the Earth. My law is this: Find out a leader's weak point, and I can unsettle a city."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 16:03:24 |Display all floors
It's really a sensational news today! Why did the police take so long to arrest him? And what about the officials who were involoved with the scandal? Did they get the legal punishment?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 16:06:53 |Display all floors
I just wonder how he could meet the top leaders in those provinces at the very start. Did he just say he's somebody in front of the government office building so that the guard let him in? Or he phoned the secretary of the leaders? ... incredible...

If he pleased a few leaders of the province, how couldn't anybody else in the leadership detect his lies? What's the usage of the meeting of the leaders. Just listen to the top guy's speech and say yes to whatever he said? The two poverty-stricken provinces, were desperate to find ways to get rich...
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 16:28:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by polaris1120 at 2008-11-19 16:06
I just wonder how he could meet the top leaders in those provinces at the very start. Did he just say he's somebody in front of the government office building so that the guard let him in? Or he ph ...

I think the only answer lies in the lust for power of some officials.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 18:09:57 |Display all floors
Those officials were lured to big projects. Such big scam.
Vision without action is illusion---Y.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 20:16:40 |Display all floors
Sh1t!! I have a new hero. Viva le Carpentier!!!!
"Finch...stay away from that Ficus! That's a jizz-free Ficus."- Steve Stiffler

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.