Petitioners attack govt buildings in NW China! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-11-19 07:59:58 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 14:49:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-11-18 22:54
I did not know that .

There's a lot Mengzhi doesn't know.

Funny how he's slunk out of this thread and not dared show his face (oh the shame of losing face )

And he still hasn't answered Soap's question !!!
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 15:40:17 |Display all floors

Bark & Bay.

Originally posted by soapdodger at 2008-11-18 20:36

I 'don't do Chinese' because I don't know Chinese (read not Chinese blood)?

emu, Read this quote from soapy.  He is at best coy about his fluency in Chinese . You on the other hand , have none .

I maintain that China has a very functional and fair judiciary system , and it is getting better by the day as the level of education and awareness of the public rises . Me lose face ?  Mate . You are barking now , up the wrong tree , as always .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 16:01:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-11-19 17:40
Bark & Bay.
[quote]Originally posted by soapdodger at 2008-11-18 20:36

emu, Read this quote from soapy.  He is at best coy about his fluency in Chinese . You on the other hand , have none . ... [/quote]

Well let's see what Soapy says he meant.

But until then, this is my interpretation of what he wrote.

Let's look at the context:

MENGZHI: You don't  "converse" with the Chinese unless you know Chinese

translation: Unless you speak Chinese you cannot really understand Chinese people.

SOAP: Well, now I can see that you are really digging to the bottom of the barrel to find your excuses.

translation: You're desperate to use that as an excuse and you say that I don't understand Chinese people because I don't speak the language (and by that you really mean because I don't have Chinese blood).

Soap's use of the word "read" in the context there doesn't literally mean he doesn't necessarily read the Chinese language. It is a shorthand way of saying "read between the lines".
It is not at all an uncommon way of using "read" and I am surprised that someone of such self professed English language skills as yourself seems unfamiliar with this usage.

Anyway, that's my reading of Soap's usage there, and you will have an apology from me in relation to this interpretation if Soap says my understanding is wrong.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 17:05:07 |Display all floors

Why so many farce?

Recently, China has to began to face more and more public event such as this. We can't help asking ourselves: why so many people like to make a noise, like to make a farce?

I don't think it's a totally negative phenomenon. It's an necessary process when democratic thinking popularizes. It indicates more freedom and rights of people. At least, they dare to express their dissatisfaction.

Some public events are originated from real people, while others are provocated by certain groups. They must be recognized and resolved differently.
[url=http://www.chinahdtv.org/promotionlink.php?key=24856e9c0fb449bb9366b526cbeb40dc][img]http://www.chinahdtv.org/pic/prolink.png[/img][/url]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 17:10:26 |Display all floors
Of course, there must be something unfair, so people jump. And they find once the event is made bigger, it get solved. Farce become a quick way to solve problems.

It's a dangerous signal. Relative departments must do their job in time, find problems before they develop. Or the farces are reasonable.
[url=http://www.chinahdtv.org/promotionlink.php?key=24856e9c0fb449bb9366b526cbeb40dc][img]http://www.chinahdtv.org/pic/prolink.png[/img][/url]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-19 17:24:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by yuan_zcen at 2008-11-19 17:10
Of course, there must be something unfair, so people jump. And they find once the event is made bigger, it get solved. Farce become a quick way to solve problems.

It's a dangerous signal. Relati ...

I cannot agree with you more!:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.