Author: mollyshan

Petitioners attack govt buildings in NW China! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-11-18 16:02:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-11-18 15:33

Hi Molly,

China is not alone in having protests like this, just recently we've seen protests against a water pipeline being built near Melbourne in Australia.
I agree with you, the aggress ...

Compared with complicated legal procedures, I think the peaceful protest is the quickest way to solve the problem. The Chinese people don't want to take legal action, which could happen elsewhere in the world. Lack of legal consciousness, afraid of the high legal cost or anything else. And the protests usually attract more and more reporters who will exert certain pressure on the local governments.:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-18 16:18:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-11-18 02:36
However , these venting of anger is mild compared even to the football hooliganism which is the  norm every week-end around UK and Europe .

I don't know if I would bring up football hooliganism... I think I read that CCTV just stopped covering the Chinese Super League because of some hooliganism of their own .
---------
I do think an independant judiciary would help, but this is just my opinion as an outsider. The more options people feel they have to honestly vent their frustrations, the less likely they are to commit acts that endanger their positions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-18 16:40:08 |Display all floors
Transparency is improving while the legal sense is still lagging behind. The courts often turned off the plaintiff without written replies.

This case is not a peaceful protest. If one day the police have to use tear gas to disperse the crowds, I suggest they use foreign made tear gas. In case there'll be persons get hurt by the tear gas, no excuse to blame made-in-China products.
Vision without action is illusion---Y.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-18 16:59:55 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-18 17:02:28 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-18 17:10:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by soapdodger at 2008-11-18 17:02

Can you explain that part about 'transparency improving', particularly in relation to responsibility?

I say transparency improving only on the scope of accidents/incidents news disclosure...not the officials' assets/financial status or else.
Vision without action is illusion---Y.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-18 17:17:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mollyshan at 2008-11-18 18:02
Compared with complicated legal procedures, I think the peaceful protest is the quickest way to solve the problem. The Chinese people don't want to take legal action, which could happen elsewhere in the world. Lack of legal consciousness, afraid of the high legal cost or anything else. And the protests usually attract more and more reporters who will exert certain pressure on the local governments. ...

Thanks for your perspective, Molly.

I agree with you that peaceful protests are to be preferred to those we've sometimes seen all over the world where people get hurt.
I also appreciate your comment about the reluctance to get involved in a legal process because of concerns about "legal consciousness" and cost concerns.
I do think the "consciousness" issue can be overcome by helping people, through public awareness, become aware of their rights.
You also raised an important point which I had neglected and that is the role of the media in exposing wrongdoing, regardless of the perpetrator, be they ordinary citizens breaking the law, or public officials breaching the trust placed in them.
The media is, in fact, a good way to expose these issues, but they need legal reform, like I mentioned earlier, to back them up.
Once again, thanks for your perspective.

Originally posted by iamnaive at 2008-11-18 17:51
We had this situation in our Eastern p.art until 1.989. The 20 million East German have answered your question already.
They got sick and tired of their government .roadcasting at any given o.pportunity that they have a p.opular s.upport of over 90 p.ercent of the people (90 !!) ...

Once again our banana loving friend, Rudi, has raised a very telling point.
I do recall reports of this high vote of confidence in Erich Honecker's administration.
The results, obviously, were highly cooked up.
The question must be asked, how did East German polling organisations get it so wrong ?
What secret do Chinese researchers have in ensuring their polling is so accurate ?

BTW, Rudi, I am sure you owe us all another Trabant joke !
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.