Views: 3583|Replies: 5

a question about bank account [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-11-6 16:54:08 |Display all floors
a  fat bank  account  指存有大量资金的存折  可以用 a large  bank  account 吗? 还有些什么形容词可以表示这个意思啊? 只有少量资金的存折呢?可以用 thin 吗?谢谢。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-8 13:50:26 |Display all floors
I don't know if you could use the Chinese translation you have provided (for the meaning although I see the translator makes sense of it for me. How about this for an explanation.

We will understand you if you say you have a "fat" bank account to mean that you have lots of money in the account. And we will also understand that if  you have a "thin" bank account, you have only a little money.
However this usage is probably considered as slang or colloquial from the kinds of sentences we would say such as:

I just got paid, my wallet is fat.

I just paid the bills, my wallet is thin.

As you can imagine, (and you should be imagining) one's wallet is going to be fat or thin depending on the number of  RMB/USD are in it. So it is easy to take the next step to imagining a bank account as being fat or thin, (or having less funds in it).

[ Last edited by pokikiko at 2008-11-8 02:27 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-8 14:15:48 |Display all floors

“fa”t就是“多钱”

4 informal : containing, providing, or costing a large amount of money ▪ a fat bank account ▪ He signed a fat contract. ▪ The company offered her a fat salary. ▪ a fat check [=a check for a large amount of money] ▪ He had to pay a fat [=big] fine.

--Merriam-Webster's Advanced Learner's Dictionary

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-8 14:25:11 |Display all floors
Very good, I stand corrected. Informal usage rather than slang or colloquial.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-8 17:29:40 |Display all floors
I got it.Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-10 14:03:08 |Display all floors

a fat bank account

is like a fat piggy bank
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.