Views: 5348|Replies: 4

freezer, turtle [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-11-3 16:24:01 |Display all floors
Hi there,
I have some questions when I watched Friends rose. I hope you guys can help me with these ones. Thanks !
Q1. Does freezer have the meaning of refrigerator? I've cheched it in some dictionaries that freezer means the ones making icecreams and the workers working in a cold place, namely 制冰激凌者 and 冷藏工人 in Chinese. But in one episode of Friends, I don't remember which season,  freezer was regarded as refrigerator. So I just wnna know the final answer.
Q2. To have no snap in one's turtle is not to have sex, in a slang way, right? Is this phrase only applied to men? Or it can be applied to all the human being?
Thank you all, I'll be waiting for your replies. And if you're a native English speaker, your answer will be specially appreciated.

[ Last edited by jim1962 at 2008-11-3 04:31 PM ]
Institutionalized

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-3 17:14:44 |Display all floors
Normally we differentiate the freezer from refrigerator. They are two different things, often in one unit, one half is the freezer and the other half is the refrigerator.

Although I did not watch the episode you are referring to, I did research a review of the episode in question, and the reference was used to mean that the male "Paul the wine guy" had been impotent for two years, until he had sex with the woman. I think this was a slang they created for the show as I have not heard it used before, as is often the case with slang, one can guess its meaning. In this case, it does not appear to reference not having sex but rather being unable to perform sex, and only concerns the male.
Because I have watched some episodes of this show (it is a comedy) I would guess that while the one woman is telling Monica that she has had sex with Paul in a bragging sort of way she is trying to say she is so good, that she cured Paul of his impotence. This would imply that Monica thought she was the one who cured him. Curing him meant that they were so good, or sexy, that they could cure a guy of not being able to have sex. However, the further implication is that Paul, is using this statement of not being able to have sex (a medical condition), to get women to try to cure him. A very complicated way of picking up on women...but this show tries to show convoluted comedy  ideas like this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-4 09:00:35 |Display all floors
Thank you so much, pokikiko!

Besides your answers, you've explained so many contents that I would never find out if I did not start this post. And it would keep me finish Friends, just third season at present.
Institutionalized

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-27 02:46:43 |Display all floors

Reply #1 jim1962's post

A refrigerator will cool down its contents to about +1c and is usually between +3c and +7c, a freezer is used for long term cold storage and is typically -10c to -20c

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-29 22:37:39 |Display all floors

Freezers freeze

I loved watching the episodes of "Friends"!

Freezers freeze things, refrigerators refrigerate things... HOWEVER

...Most refrigerators have a small freezer in them. You could point at a refrigerator and say "put it in the freezer" and mean to put something in the freezer in the refrigerator.
  "No snap in my turtle"... I am from the USA... from the southern state of Texas. I have never heard this expression. Different Western cultures have different slang. Then different parts of the USA have different slang also.

Good luck in your English study.

Don

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.