Views: 28900|Replies: 332

Can East really meet West in a forum? [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-10-26 11:10:51 |Display all floors
What is a forum?  According to Cassell’s Concise Dictionary it is a public place where orations are delivered; a place of assembly for public discussions, etc.

I think that the China Daily (CD) having a public forum shows just how much China has changed over the years and how China is more open to comment.  This is a wonderful thing and should be of benefit to all forumites, whether from the East or West.  I would have thought that this should be a place for the cultural exchange of ideas and thoughts which help to move other people’s beliefs and encourage a more open and friendly society through exchange.

This particular forum however does not seem to do this. Its dwindling participants seem to be open to abuse by a hard core of psychopaths.  Any idea or thought is met with personal abuse and intolerance.  Now I would not say that all posts are worthy of further comment but it seems that it is certainly not a place where real ideas or facts are being exchanged.  I would have thought that many Chinese would have been willing to post back their replies and also to give some real facts about the topic to help foreigners better understand China and vice versa for Westerners.  Instead it just seems that all posts are met with expletives and unnecessary name calling. Recently, I was horrified to see that Satsu_Jin was not only abused and attacked, but that 2 contributors called his wife, mother and grandmother whores.  There was also another notable member of the forum who left who has his wife attacked as a whore.

I would have thought that if this forum has a moderator that that moderators duty would be not only to stop slanderous talk about China but also to protect the participants from foul mouthed ignorant people who have no real point to make but just espouse the same old abuse.   Imagine if someone tried to say such terrible things about China and its people.  Would the post survive? I doubt it. The verbal abuse of a person’s spouse is not a valid topic thread and is vulgar and abusive.

If this post gets posted then I will have to respect the moderator fully for true openness after all these are my honest thoughts on this subject, and hope that rampant abuse could be cut down by reigning in the marauding bile poured out by some posters and then possibly there might be more people who would be willing to join in the threads to make a real forum for positive and intelligent discourse and not just abuse.  More people involved in the conversations could only help to enhance the reality of a purposeful forum and discuss relevant issues about China.

CD Rules:

Messages which are found to be abusive, obscene, vulgar, hateful, slanderous, threatening, or which are otherwise in violation of any laws, deemed as such by the administrators, and at their sole discretion, will be removed. Users which have made posts falling into any of the above categories may face permanent banishment from the forum or their account may be subject to any other actions which are deemed appropriate by the administrators.

My simple request is that the moderators help to encourage more people to come to the forum to discuss the issues and help cultural exchange and understanding. I cannot imagine why anyone discovering this forum would wish to join when they see that the conversations are just strings of expletives and abuse. I would also ask that they control the bile secreted by any forumite, whether from the East or West.  Or at least issue some sort of warning or challenge.  If in doubt apply the China test to it.  Would this be allowed to said about China?

Thanks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-26 18:07:53 |Display all floors
Good point Expatter. This forum has great potential, and it really offers a lot of freedom for discussion. Unfortunately a lot of people waste this freedom by using it just for insulting and having empty, nonsense fights.

The abuse comes from both sides, but there seems to be a lot more tolerance for insults aimed at foreigners.

Something to think about: what if foreigners left the forum? Would that improve the quality here? There would just be Chinese people speaking English with eachother, a lot of diversity would be lost. If the quality of discussion drops below a certain minimum level then people will leave. We have other places to go to, other ways to spend our free time. I hope people keep this in mind before provoking nonsense fights. They rob their fellow forumites of the chance to meet people from other cultures, learn about their opinions, practise their language.
:: I'm in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, in July 2008 ::

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-26 18:17:09 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-10-26 19:11:21 |Display all floors

#2 and #3

Thanks guys.  I feel that there must be many Chinese English users out there on the internet that could help foreigners better understand China and it would be great to discuss details with them.  After all they have battled to learn another language so they must be quite well educated.

I do feel that many people in the forum both from east and west should use more facts and less general sweeping statements which cannot be substantiated.

The two sides in reality have somewhat of a problem.  On the Chinese side their education will obviously be pro China and they are as a people in the 21st century very nationalistic.  I do not say that is a bad thing.  For the foreigners their education about China for anyone who is 20 years old plus would feature limited documentation and concern the Cultural Revolution and Tianmen.  Persons older than that might have heard about the problems of the third five year plan.  

Neither side is at fault for their beliefs but should at least try to understand the other point of view.  Chinese need to understand that not every foreigner is against them, quite the reverse.  What a fantastic Olympics and what a happy bunch of tourists taking home real news about China and not the tainted media stance.  Foreigners need to look at their beliefs and where these come from and question why their side is they believe, the only side of the argument.

There was in the past a thread about Mao and some westerners were utterly intransigent about their stance and had not bothered to gain any real insight into history and events.  This is where the China side should help others to understand why they also have their own fixed position and the reasons for it.

Hey, Iamnaive.  You do not need to use coded words if you write sincerely and without ill will towards China.  I never use the use of strange concoctions. This thread only exists because although the moderators may feel that it has some critcism in it but as an opinion it is honest.  After all, that is how a forum should be.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-26 19:36:36 |Display all floors

Is this the forum

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-10-26 20:06:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pendragon at 2008-10-26 19:07
Good point Expatter. This forum has great potential, and it really offers a lot of freedom for discussion. Unfortunately a lot of people waste this freedom by using it just for insulting and having ...

This forum would improve within days if the mods strictly apply the forum rules, laid down in para.2, and I quote:

2. You must converse in an appropriate way to be allowed to participate

Messages which are found to be abusive, obscene, vulgar, hateful, slanderous, threatening, or which are otherwise in violation of any laws, deemed as such by the administrators, and at their sole discretion, will be removed. Users which have made posts falling into any of the above categories may face permanent banishment from the forum or their account may be subject to any other actions which are deemed appropriate by the administrators. This may require reporting you to the proper authorities such as law enforcement agencies or to your internet service provider. Logs of all forum activity, including the IP address of all posts, are recorded to aid in enforcement these conditions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-26 20:12:34 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.