1. To proceed or move according to: I was free to go my own way.
2. To traverse: Only two of the runners went the entire distance.
3. To engage in: went skiing.
- a. To bet: go $20 on the black horse.
- b. To bid: I'll go $500 on the vase.
- a. To take on the responsibility or obligation for: go bail for a client.
- b. To participate to (a given extent): Will you go halves with me if we win the lottery?
6. To amount to; weigh: a shark that went 400 pounds.
7. Sports To have as a record: went 3 for 4 against their best pitcher.
8. Informal To enjoy: I could go a cold beer right now.
9. To say or utter. Used chiefly in verbal narration: First I go, "Thank you," then he goes, "What for?"
#6 is closest to how it is used in the sentence under consideration in this thread.