Author: buddy35

China: A Healthy Nation [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-10-11 05:50:31 |Display all floors

That's Not How Diplomacy Works

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-11 06:42:06 |Display all floors
Most long-term foreigners in China tend to gain, rather than lose, weight, I've noticed.  The young backpackery types living off crappy school food and not really looking after themselves do lose it, but the guys who get married and settle into eating food cooked by a maid or MIL tend to put on a lot.  I think it's because the environment is so built up there, there isn't much open space or places for recreation, even compared with Britain.  And the Chinese food is swimming in oil, too.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-11 06:43:22 |Display all floors
"China has 65 times the population of Australia and was one of the poorest in the world in 1949 ( Australia was 1st ). It is no great achievement to be at the forefront with 1/65 of the number of mouths to feed and bodies to look after .  Be real mate and stop being so paranoid . It is un-Australian to brag and spin but you do it all the time ."

True, but Japan has a population density many times that of China...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-11 06:45:05 |Display all floors
I would also like to say that there are definitely *more* overweight kids in schools in China than in Britain.  In the summer I spent two weeks observing classes at a semi-suburban school in the area of Newcastle I live in, and right now I am on a placement at another school in a working class area, and in both cases, there are maybe 2-3 marginally overweight children in each class.  Compare that with China where in each class there are some utter utter porkers.

China's obesity problem will hit it like a train, I guarantee it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-11 16:06:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by renegadedog9 at 2008-10-11 08:45
I would also like to say that there are definitely *more* overweight kids in schools in China than in Britain.  
...China's obesity problem will hit it like a train, I guarantee it.  

That's very unfair of you, renegadedog9, to confront Mengzhi with reality.

Originally posted by tongluren at 2008-10-11 07:50
That's Not How Diplomacy Works

Tongy boy, I am not a diplomat, and around 23 million other Australians aren't either, so we don't need to have our opinions muted by "diplomacy", or your sensitive ego.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-11 16:58:20 |Display all floors

It is the math stupid !!

# 40 Reply to dog ,

* more * you said . What percentage ? As China has 1.3 billion people  * more * does not mean anything on its own . The proportion of Australian overweight is 60% of adults and 50% of school children . Even if all Australians are fat , 22 million would make it an * insignificant * number if it is in China ? Do you understand percentages , or are you just being a clown ?  Emu is the master of spin , you are right there too . Cheers .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-11 19:14:23 |Display all floors

Reply #42 mengzhi's post

Awww c'mon ole pal! So, there are less Aussies than Chinese, so what! I'll yellya, obesity is becoming a big problem here in China too. About 40% of the kids I teach are obese.......and no, the excue can't be blamed on the West or KFC etc. It's a shift in lifestyles....that simple really!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.