Views: 5398|Replies: 8

My first oral English class [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-9-17 22:01:33 |Display all floors
This morning I had my first spoken English class at a vocational school as a teacher. The class lasted for three hours with a twenty minute break half way. It's a bit too long and I had to cover lots of things in order to fill it. I hadn't been informed whether I would teach the same class all morning or two different classes, each for ninety minutes. Luckily, I had prepared a great deal of material in case I would have to teach the same class for three hours.

If I have to give a score for my teaching today, I suppose I would mark my teaching 7. At first I was a little nervous because I didn't know much about my students and I was worried whether they would feel comfortable with my way of teaching. After a while, I became relaxed. They seemed quite at ease, so why need I be uncomfortable with them?  

I didn't conduct the teaching very well during the first sention of the class as I hadn't quite been relaxed at that time. After a brief introduction of myself to them, I asked them several questions, such as what's your English name?  Why do you want to take IELTS? Will you go abroad if you pass IELTS?, etc.. Few could answer these questions fairly well, but the rest couldn't do a good job.  They even couln't produce a complete English sentence. It reminded me of my days of starting to learn speaking English. I performed just as badly as they did. That set me to think that next time I may  teach them very basic spoken English i.e.help them practice simple but useful conversational English so that they may be able to conduct short English conversations when situation demands. In this way, I'll gradually help them try to say more on a certain topic. Anyway, they are basic level students and what they need is basic skills in communicating successfully in English.

Then I told them something about IELTS speaking test. That willl give both of us a clear direction to prepare for the test:what and how should we learn? and in what way can we improve fast? These are queations to which we should know the answers before starting the journey of learnit to speak Enlgish.

Hopefully, they will get what they want and pass IELTSwhen they leave the school.

[ Last edited by rebecca666 at 2008-9-17 10:11 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-18 08:58:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rebecca666 at 2008-9-17 22:01
This morning I had my first spoken English class at a vocational school as a teacher. The class lasted for three hours with a twenty minute break half way. It's a bit too long and I had to cover lo ...

it was a  real hard job that have a class for three hours , so you have to keep talking all the time must very tired.

excuse , can you tell me what is " IELTS" ?  is that very hard to pass this test ?

as a English learner , I always pay attention to  spoken English and listening ....but , it seems very to have a

huge improvement . I had stay in this level for a long time . when face a foreigner , I even can not open my
mouth....

can you give me some suggest ? thanks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-18 10:08:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rebecca666 at 2008-9-17 22:01
This morning I had my first spoken English class at a vocational school as a teacher. The class lasted for three hours with a twenty minute break half way. It's a bit too long and I had to cover lo ...

wow, u must hv excellent spoken english skill, did u go to abroad for study ever?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-19 11:05:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by garyguoyi at 2008-9-18 08:58

it was a  real hard job that have a class for three hours , so you have to keep talking all the time must very tired.

excuse , can you tell me what is " IELTS" ?  is that very h ...

IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. In Chinese it means 雅思。Those who want to study or work abroad need to take this test to make sure that they can funtion well at places where English is the language of communication. Not all the western universities ask their foreign students to take IELTS. Some of them ask you to take TOEFL.

For more information about IELTS, you can log onto http://www.cambridgeesol.org or http://www.ielts.org and have a look.

As for how to improve your spoken English skills, I'd like to introduce you a homepage of a Hongkong English consultant: http://unclemartin711.qzone.qq.com/, where you can find some articles on English learning. I hope they will be of some help to you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-19 12:40:16 |Display all floors
Your oral english is good.hold on.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-19 17:03:40 |Display all floors

Thank you for your comments

I am very glad  to read your articles that introduce your first  teaching experience.  i just want to talk my opinion.
Wiith the economy developing around the world. English is to be a very important skill. so the learner increase sharply. most of them can write a correct sentence but speak a complete oral english. The reason of this result  because we can't determine to study it. we know, The opening of matter is very hard. if we can't overcome the difficulty firstly, we will fall our foot on the studying road. so, the determination decided how long you will go in the future in studying english.

Trust yourself  faithlly and try to do best everyday .
At the end , i am a primary learner in English. welcome  to give me helpful comments about studying english.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-20 16:13:41 |Display all floors

come on

I'm a college student come from XI'AN, in my opinion : as  a  student , I hope my new teacher will tell us some intersting ,useful things atour first meet.It's my advice. come on!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.