Author: buddy35

China and its People: The Most Envied Civilization [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-26 08:39:49 |Display all floors

Reply #17 buddy35's post

I would say that we, if anything, envy the racial harmony here, the veneration of elders, the respect for educators, the love of family and country. I wouldn't say we envy much more than that right now, but right in what I've written, is enough. I hope China gives us more to respect and admire and less to envy as she steps up and truly takes her place in the world after such a magnificently held Olympiad. Congratulations to all of China, it was absolutely a fantastic show!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-26 13:28:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by buddy35 at 2008-8-25 18:33
China and its People: The Most Envied Civilization

Much as I admire China for her achievements I think the title of most envied nation will remain in the hands of the Americans for the time being.

I do not agree with the assesment but it is pointless arguing with judges who leave China with their visa in their hand.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-26 14:21:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by markwu at 2008-8-25 21:20
Excellence must be recognized, for it is excellence which has been displayed. Today, humility can take silver. Gold speaks.

In one stroke, China has set unmatchable standards for what it means t ...

51 GOLD have proven China EXCELLENCE   over snob USA,little Britain, Small pop Aussie/Nz,etc.......
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-26 14:39:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by caringhk at 2008-8-26 16:21
51 GOLD have proven China EXCELLENCE   over snob USA,little Britain, Small pop Aussie/Nz,etc.......

51 Gold is indeed a great effort, but it's not the be-all and end-all of civilisation, for goodness' sake.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-26 14:40:41 |Display all floors
[quote]Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-8-26 14:39

51 Gold is indeed a great effort, but it's not the be-all and end-all of civilisation, for goodness' sake - sure as China did not say will NUKE you but Israel/USA/UK is willing to NUKE IRAN anytime now
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-26 15:02:10 |Display all floors

No It's Not

A year from now most people would not even remember 80% of the medalists - and that is not only true in China.  The Olympics were but a big party, a celebration.  Now that it is over, it is time to get down to doing some serious work.  There is time to play, and the Chinese played hard.  But it is now back to work.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-26 15:41:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tongluren at 2008-8-26 17:02
A year from now most people would not even remember 80% of the medalists - and that is not only true in China.  ....  There is time to play, and the Chinese played hard.  But it is now back to work...

Exactly right. Back to work everyone.

The downside is, and I have experienced it a couple of times working on Olympics, is that there may be a little bit of a post Olympic blues.

While some Beijingers will be happy to have their home town back to themselves, and the traffic returns to normal as they are allowed to use their roads again, for people who worked on the Olympics as volunteers or whatever, the euphoria leaves a certain void.

We all get over it, but there will be an emptyness for a short time.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.