Author: interesting

California split? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-23 11:31:27 |Display all floors
Kodama,

You're absolutely right, someone did forget what "federalism" means. Why, I ask, does the DEA attack mari.juana dispensaries, which are legal in California?
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-23 11:32:49 |Display all floors
The fact is that the rest of the country can't be trusted, especially the Republican areas--who deride us as the "People's Republic of California"--because they place disproportionate burdens upon us and are actively hostile to our internal policies from medicinal codes to air standards.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-23 11:56:26 |Display all floors
Go California!

Nah I don't never see it in my lifetime.

Such a distraction will be immediately swept under the rug and the perpetrators properly dispensed with!

I think Hawaii has a better chance -- a better chance at nothin', not even Puerto Rico!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-23 12:16:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-8-23 11:31
Kodama,

You're absolutely right, someone did forget what "federalism" means. Why, I ask, does the DEA attack mari.juana dispensaries, which are legal in California?

Uhhhh, ok. I wasn't suggesting the federal government doesn't have much power, but that there is no need for regional devolution since there's already a perfectly sufficient system in place called federalism. Putting more power back in the hands of states would seem to be the more likely move.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-23 13:50:21 |Display all floors
Let's wait until Bush moves back to Texas and then give the state back to Mexico.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-23 13:56:54 |Display all floors
I think that there is some validity to the article. For example, regarding government health care in the US, I am not sure that this could work on a federal level. I think that government sponsored health care works in countries like Japan, Canada, Germany (which is quasi-national), etc. because they have much smaller populations than the US. Their systems are akin to the US providing government sponsored health care on a state level in the US.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-23 17:52:10 |Display all floors
Sock,

You're quite right on healthcare and this extends to a host of other programs that people often want where the US would appear more like Europe. Many of these systems rely on the kind of unitary authority that states, not the Federal government, have in the US.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.