Author: augusten

China stuns the world [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-22 13:29:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by projeka at 2008-8-22 12:26
What rights do Chinese people really have?

I think they have a rapidly improving society and a change in the nature of government at this stage would be counter productive.

China is evolving into a more flexible society but she needs to do so at her own pace and in her own way. She does not need foreigners from failing government systems who are seemingly deaf to protests tellingher her how she should be running HER country. No flame intended.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-22 14:15:38 |Display all floors
January 1, 1992

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-8-22 14:26:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-8-22 13:58
My personal stunning experience ...

...yes, the TV show was impressive. The Chiense apprentices are learning fast from their western teaching models. At least the technical things.

(I am not  ...

Have you never heard of relabeled bottles of wine? Germany and Austria did this for years, mixing  ethylene glycol and wine and then labeling these bottles as special vintage. Some wine-growers made  a hell of a profit with these fine mixtures and this all happened about 10 or 15 years ago.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-22 14:35:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by projeka at 2008-8-22 12:26
Can Chinese people vote?

Uh. Yes.  

I can openly express my opinions about people in our government.  Can Chinese people do this?

Yeah, they can.

What rights do Chinese people really have?

Quite a few actually.

What it all comes down to is America is a Demo.cracy.  China is Com.munist and the largest total.itari.an society.

It seems this is your basic misunderstanding, a common one among uninformed Westerners. China is neither communist nor totalitarian. First China has developed a very capitalistic system which means economic rights are, for one, fairly broad. In addition China has long had local elections that people can vote for, some of them being local bodies that in turn appoint people to higher bodies. They do not have the power to directly vote for the people at several higher positions, however. Also while many comments you make here about the government could be censored they are not things which you are actually not allowed to say in public. The line is one between simple speech and protest. The latter is what gets restricted but even there it is allowed in certain cases.

Of course, it also differs from place to place in China. Some areas will be more permissive, others won't. That's because there's not really some centralized system of governance.

Originally posted by iamnaive at 2008-8-22 13:25
He also admitted, that during the whole process of choreographing the opening ceremony the CCP and the government had been heavily involved in even minor things. It is in my opinion an outrage that a government is wasting its time in doing this. Imagine  Mrs. Merkel is involving herself over a period of one year in the details of the opening ceremony.  They have better and more important things to do.

The Chinese government does have a sports division you know, and local officials who would take an interest and get involved in such a thing. Do you think that's somehow different from past Olympics? The Olympics is often a national effort by whatever country is hosting it and that means government involvement.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-22 14:40:56 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-22 14:41:36 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-8-22 14:50:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by iamnaive at 2008-8-22 15:41

That s why I am a strict anti alcoholic, anti fascist and anti c.ommunist !

Btw, this was the time when I had my last glass of German wine. I prefer French, Italian or Californian vintages.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.