Author: chinadaily

Who is greater, Phelps or Bolt? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-21 10:44:16 |Display all floors
the only thing the suits can possible do is reduce resistance. everything else you claim is false. you are free to provide proof. however, if anyone can spot cheating it would be a chinese. it is a national sport...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 10:59:25 |Display all floors

So Which is It?

"everything else you claim is false...." blah blah blah.

Tongluren very seldom posts anything that cannot be supported.  Just google "high tech swimsuits" and among the first hits would be the Time article (Aug. 13) on how the high tech swimsuits are winning medals.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 12:15:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tongluren at 2008-8-20 18:40
It is admitted that the swimmers swim faster in those suits, which both are slippery, and also when fitted correctly, provides boyancy AND keeps the body straighter so that more power could be asse ...

You're too funny. The Chinese swimming team ended years of cooperation with Speedo after the Athens Games and switched to its current sponsor Nike. Swimmers were supposed to wear Nike Swift at the Beijing Olympics, according to the contract.

However.......HOWEVER, even though they were under contract, Nike still told the Chinese team they could wear whatever they felt most comfortable in. So most of them chose Nike's line of technical suits. Which are actually pretty good suits. In fact several of them tried the Speedo LZR Racer, but didn't feel the difference from the Nike counterpart.

It really comes down to what makes the athlete feel most comfortable. Hell, I'm sure if Micheal Phelps donned a Glad Hefty Bag, and they said it was tested by Nasa, people would be claiming the trash bags are an unfair advantage.

I think they're selling clues at the Silk Market. I suggest you stop by and barter yourself a few.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 12:47:37 |Display all floors
I agree with # 10, also, the Chinese Pool is at the maximum of 3 M deep, whch gives greater speed, the water is at and in a perfect condition, I think Melbourne and Athens are also 3 M deep. Mark Spitz said in a TV interview, that the new suits only made a difference once you had maximum speed and maximum float and only then did they make only a small or minor difference, I think he would agree with the GLAD TRASH BAG theory.

Anyway, BOLT or PHELPS ?, I think BOLT, it was a mighty performance, both times. Very impressive.

Very very impressive.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 13:00:26 |Display all floors
Back to the question of Bolt or Phelps. I don't think it is fair to compare Bolt to Phelps here. What Phelps did is better than anything ANYONE has EVER done in the Olympics Games. EIGHT gold medals in different events, different styles and much different types of distance than Bolt did. Bolt did a couple of sprints and the 100-200 is a very common program for a sprinter. NOBODY has even ATTEMPTED what Phelps did, much less win eight golds and set records in every event. I can't believe people are trying to compare the two, it's not even close.

A more fair comparison for Bolt would be the 200-400 double by Michael Johnson in the 1996 Olympics. Right now, I think Johnson is ahead of Bolt because that double is much harder than the 100-200. However, if Bolt wins in the 4x100, he will move past Johnson.

[ Last edited by unimane at 2008-8-20 11:03 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 16:48:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by icke83 at 2008-8-21 09:47
Both are great athletes.

Both are great athletes.but i like Bolt more.
http://bbs.nju.edu.cn/file/S/smellegg/smellegg1208832027.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-23 17:35:20 |Display all floors
That's funny. People picked Bolt because it meant an American didn't win. Just proves how much chauvinism you can expect from the Chinese here.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.