Author: tradervic

Beijing sends Mugabe packing [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-6 03:13:05 |Display all floors

Sorry...

Originally posted by ronglimeng at 8/4/2008 12:49 PM
That was an interesting piece of news, once I got the address cobbled back together.

(I've never pretended to me the sharpest knife in the CD BBS drawer, tradervic, so is there some easy way to reassemble your links?).

I'm surprised that Bob felt confident enough to leave his country. Isn't it normal for African despots to be deposed when they make ego-trips abroad?  

... as long as only the semi-tech savvy are able to read what is in a "instant post" - then the mods will not be so quick to rake the sandbox.  Just trying to maintain harmony with the powers to be in Beijing.

As for Bob... looks like <he who shall not be named> voiced his opinion.

Thems the breaks - as China tries on the Super Powersuit when stepping out on the dance floor that is world politick.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-6 08:39:24 |Display all floors

Reply #10 tradervic's post

It is as I've said and maintained for quite some time....even China must sometimes be sensitive to world opinion. I don't think Western leaders would want to be seen anywhere near the vicinity Bob the butcher was so Beijing made a responsible decision.....be accepted by the wealthier and powerful countries or, allow an old friend, albeit a tyrant, to come and lose the prestige of having all the big people there.....simple maths really!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-6 21:01:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ronglimeng at 2008-8-5 03:49
(I've never pretended to me the sharpest knife in the CD BBS drawer, tradervic, so is there some easy way to reassemble your links?).

I'm with you Rong, it's a bit of a hassle, although I do admire Matt's persistent efforts to bring us the news.

This bit where the address is over more than one line, makes it impossible to paste into an address bar and then edit.

Even spa.ces and d.ots don't work anymore, it's a real pain.

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2008-8-6 11:03 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-6 21:19:23 |Display all floors

Oh...

... we are in a brief holiday, however...

canada.c
om/topics/news/story.h
tml?id=80212f5f-72a1-4bc9-92b1-6ddf827835c3

This is going to be a very rough few weeks - then it is really going to be bad.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-7 12:18:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2008-8-5 03:23
... how will the spin go on this story?

Well that's interesting.

Let's examine some spin on another story.

Chinadaily BBS » China & the World » Sarkozy says "not to meet D.a.l.a.i L.a.m.a" in Paris ... »
Originally posted by chinadaily at 2008-8-7 13:14
Sarkozy says "not to meet D.a.l.a.i L.a.m.a." in Paris ...

President Nicolas Sarkozy praised China's preparations for the Olympic Games on Wednesday as his office made clear he will not see the D.a.l.a.i L.a.m.a when the T.i.b.e.t.a.n leader in e.xi.le visits France. .

Originally posted by chinadaily at 2008-8-7 13:15
Boy, he gave up.

Obviously, the Chinese people have spoken out loud, and he heard it.

So, in this case China whinged and whined about Sarkozy and Tbt. Sarkozy won't be meeting the DL this time around (there are reasons mentioned in the original article, and Sarkozy's wife will be attending some Tbt function) and this is interpreted as a face losing backdown by Sarkozy due to China's pressure.

Now, in the case of Beijing's little 'china plate'* Mugabe, and his being refused entry for the Olympics, well nobody will be suggesting it's a backdown by Beijing, will they ?

* 'china plate' = rhyming slang for 'mate'.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.