Author: iamchina

China and the progression of rights [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-19 14:25:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by squaredancer at 2008-7-19 13:54
China has a tiny bit to go before it is fully developed internally so that it can be the world's dominant nation (but I am confident it will get there soon). It may be ideal if renegade provincial  ...

The current religious laws allow the worst pedaphiles and liars, and perpetrators and religion distorters and world religious farces and evil religions and lies to be spread in China, while keeping all of the goodness and truth out...

[ Last edited by justbabygirl at 2008-7-19 02:27 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-23 09:30:13 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-29 05:45:45 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-29 06:00:18 |Display all floors

Religious Minorities?

Jewish folk opining on religious minorities in labor camps??!!  I find that truly ironic.

What do you call those Paletinians that have been rotting in Israeli prisons for decades, and routinely abused and tortured?  Do you, as a Jew, truly feel qualified to render opinion on the subject when your own people have be committting atrocities for decades now, and still not stopping?

Make no mistake:  China's labor reeducation system is NOT punitive in nature.  It is rehabitative, and the recidivism rate is less than 30%.  That is a proud accomplishment compared to any reformatory school anywhere in the West.  How about Israel?  How about America?  Can you give better numbers that that?

Besides, there are only a couple hundred thousand at present in the entire labor reeducation system in China - on a per capita basis probably lower in number than American reformatory schools.  

And you are confusing status vs. conduct.  NONE of the reeducated are in the centers because of who they were - they are there because of their conduct, their criminal infractions.  For a young man with splittist inclinations who engaged in illegal protests, the fact that he is also a "religious minority" (which is a misnomer, as China has NO religious majority, unlike Israel or America) is totally irrelevant.  He did the deed, he goes to jail or to reeducation.  

Separation of religion and politics is an important tool for China to maintain peace and stability for the benefit of all citizens.  The selfish wishes of a few, with or without foreign backing, cannot be allowed to thwart the progress of the people and the nation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-29 09:26:00 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-7 11:15:27 |Display all floors
I'm glad you responded and are willing to discuss this, tongluren :)

I wish to clarify a misunderstanding that many people understandably have have. Jewish people are not necessarily affiliated with Israel. 80% of Israel's population is Jewish, but the majority of Jewish people are _not_ Israeli. It is easy to get confused with all the group identities people have (so I am not criticizing you), but Jewish people, including myself, need not have any connection with Israel. There are no forced labor camps in Israel but there have been many horrible human rights violations by the IDF, and I condemn them. But I do not consider myself in any way involved or affiliated with Israel's policies, any more than I would consider myself affiliated with the policies of, say, Bulgaria.

The US and other countries also have human rights issues. I am actually most vocal at condemning human rights problems in the US, and have been involved in many petitions and other efforts. It is very annoying for me that both US candidates have not taken strong enough stances on human rights. They both were in favor of a law that gave amnesty to telephone companies who cooperated with the government to have a giant computer system illegally monitor everybody's phone calls. I could angrily rave for hours, but I will start here so I do not bore you too much :)

It is not right for any country to try to control what people think (religiously or otherwise), through laws or other means. Human nature is such that there are no unbiased judges as to what is moral thinking. It does not improve stability to do so; people just keep quiet and their frustrations build up. This has happened in many countries where censorship was tried. People are also less creative if they know that if they say something an authority will disagree with, they will be tortured with electric shocks and harmful chemicals. The governments of the US, Germany, Israel, and China are not perfect in this regard. The majority of the people in all of these countries though respect human rights. My disagreement is only with the top government leaders of these countries.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-7 16:09:22 |Display all floors

mark leonard's book

Firstly, nice thread.

Secondly, for all you guys who haven't read "What does China think?", READ IT! I went out and bought it after reading the thread here. It really gave a sound overall picture of the political spectrum WITHIN the state apparatus, as well as social experiments being made throughout the country to improve things, that directly impact upon the people.
It is heartening to see so many intellectuals China striving for change and going forward not according the West's patronising "guidance", but on China's own terms and methodology.

Solzhenitsyn believed Russia was not suited the West's way of things, and needed to forge its own path/model of society and governance. All here should believe that China is the same.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.