Author: thepeop

One China, indivisible [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-15 08:54:25 |Display all floors
Mengzhi, I'm really not sure what you're saying here.  I'm not talking specifically about the PRC.  Are you offering a reason why Mongolia's status isn't such an issue for Chinese people?  My point is to say that before 1911 there was no Inner/'Outer' Mongolia s- plit- both were part of China.  So what is now the People's Republic of Mongolia is a large part of 'the motherland' that successfully broke away.  To me, it is inconsistent that Chinese people do not appear to feel strongly about this.  Whenever the subject of a part of China leaving the rest comes up, the argument is always rasied that this place was historically part of China.  In fact, it's not even an argument so much as a statement of faith- China's soil is described as 'sacred', and it is essentially blasphemy to suggest that it could be divided.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-15 09:00:01 |Display all floors
To make the obvious comparison- certain parts of China are home to independence movements.  Their members are described as vile traitors because they seek to break up the historical unity of China, and they are accused of working with foreign powers to weaken China.  Moreover, we are told that those places 'will always be part of China'- i.e. any move to independence, now or in the future, is categorically unacceptable.

On the other hand, we have a part of China whose independence movement was successful- under the auspices of a foreign power, in fact- and yet this is somehow not an issue.  Is this not a double standard?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-15 14:15:51 |Display all floors

Britannia rules the channel ( half ).

thepeop,

You are one of the unteachables . No one is talking about unlimited history.Chinese territories were gobbled and nibbled away by the nasty  colonialists including your mob . When China was weak and helpless, there is nothing she could  do except be humiliated , When the bible-bashers from London town deemed that exchanging opium for silk and porcelain is within the confines of the words of god, one is overwhelmed by the logic.

You are now being an infantile tantrum thrower and taunt the Chinese for not withstanding the might of the gun-boat diplomacy, right ? I have some good news for you . Recall how China wanted and got back HK without a whimper from the Brits ? The tide has turned old chap and from now on, no Chinese territories will be taken away from us : not before the barbarians get a roasting . Cheers.

[ Last edited by mengzhi at 2008-7-15 02:17 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-15 15:13:39 |Display all floors
TP,

The various parts of China which declared themselves independent at the dawn of the Republic did so because they were not "part of China" but part of the Qing Empire and owed their fealty directly to the Emperor. It's akin the relationship between Austria and Hungary for centuries: Austria ruled Hungary because the Austrian Emperor sat on the throne of Hungary as well (leading to the eventual use of "kaiserlich und koeniglich", "imperial and kingly", when the Hungarians began to balk at Austrian domination).

The reason Mongolia is a non-issue is that China was unable to take it with the Russians supporting Mongolia and so they declared it not part of China. The whole issue of Chinese territory, currently little more than a traditional empire, is simply a rhetorical bit and a sop to the egos of the Han majority.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-15 15:18:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepeop at 2008-7-14 17:31
...all questions worth discussing, Correction.  But this is a forum about China.

But trying to split up China and demanding independence for all  56 ethnic minorities in China will certainly have deep implication for all other countries that have different ethnic groups, don't you think?

Or do you mean that it's only good  to split up China but not  good when that happens to western countries ??

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-15 17:05:48 |Display all floors
Mengzhi, does that reply about HK and 'from now on' suggest you believe Mongolia SHOULD be under Chinese control?  That's all I am asking here.  Actually, given that you mention the evil 'colonialists'- it is ironic that the one power that successfully (i.e. permanently) removed land from China was China's 'anti-colonialist' ally, Russia.

Correction, I am not suggesting that China be s- plit up.  That would, among other things, involve a mountain of paperwork and annoy atlas owners all over the world.  As above, I am asking- since China has already been s- plit up, how do you feel about Mongolia?

Interesting- that's the part that I find, ern, interesting.  How could the government successfully convince people that Mongolia is not a rightful part of China when it's right there, within China's borders, on historical maps since the Yuan dynasty?  Obviously it's not exactly convenient for the government to go laying claim to a country it's already relinquished claims to, but I do think that 'one China' patriotism is a genuine belief among many Chinese people, not just a dogma engineered from above, so the inconsistency of Mongolia's status should be an issue.

[ Last edited by thepeop at 2008-7-15 05:15 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-15 17:49:22 |Display all floors
Additional note- a quick look on Baidu suggests this is an issue in China, but not one that generates huge excitement.  Searching for Menggu (Mongolia) shows quite a few people asking if/when it will 'return' (huigui, the same term used for Hong Kong's return) to China.  There's also news about the question of returning being raised in parliament in Mongolia (one commentator writes that it's only ever raised by the small Han Chinese minority).  When someone does talk about Mongolia's return, some people say 'maybe in future, when our economy is stronger', only one or two suggest using force, and it seems most say 'Are you crazy?  That'll never happen'.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.