Author: thepeop

One China, indivisible [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-14 16:07:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by richardpap at 2008-7-14 15:35

May Mongolian  want  to return back.

They need money to develop their infrastructure. Without an adequate infrastructure they cannot take advantage of the abundance of natural resources like minerals, timber etc.

China has money. Economic problems that are thought to be the main reason for the current discontent in Mongolia.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-14 16:09:44 |Display all floors
Mengzhi, I am not sure of the point you are making.  Mongolia left China in 1911, but in the years that followed Chinese soldiers returned there and under pressure from Russia and the new Republic of China it changed its claim of independence to 'autonomy' within China.  Successful formal independence (in practice relying on Russian support) did not come until the 1920s, as I said.  Now, can you relate what you're saying to my question.. what's your opinion on Mongolia's status?

Oh, and the 'Qin' dynasty should be spelt 'Qing'- I encourage you to keep working on your pinyin and maybe save your arrogance at least until you can correctly use the official romanization system taught to every primary school pupil of what you claim is your country.

Richardpap- actually a Chinese friend once told me her teacher had taught her that the Mongolian people dearly wanted to be part of China, but for some reason (presumably evil Russia?) couldn't.  I asked why on earth a government would be willing to give up its sovereignty, and apparently the answer was that Mongolia had no access to the sea.  To which I could only laugh and say (picking one example out of many) 'Switzerland'.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-14 16:35:13 |Display all floors
How about Hawaii independence?
How about New Zealand to be handed back to the Maori?
How about Australia to be handed back to the Aboriginal people?
How about Northern Ireland to be handed back to the Ireland?
How about Israel to be handed back to the Palestinian?
How about native Americans achieve self determination?
How about all KKK pests to be kicked back to Western  Europe?
How about Basque independence?
How about Lapps independence?
How about Texas, California and New Mexico be handed back to Mexico?
And more....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-14 17:31:32 |Display all floors
...all questions worth discussing, Correction.  But this is a forum about China.

By the way, was I imagining it or was there a reply from Chairman above earlier?  I thought he'd disappeared.. and then he disappeared again!

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-7-14 20:30:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepeop at 2008-7-14 18:31
...all questions worth discussing, Correction.  But this is a forum about China.

By the way, was I imagining it or was there a reply from Chairman above earlier?  I thought he'd disappeared.. an ...

He said in another thread that he had deleted his reply over here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-14 23:11:23 |Display all floors
Ah, fair enough.  It's interesting that, his vanished sentence aside, there don't seem to be strong feelings about this issue.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-15 07:28:19 |Display all floors

Close enough is good enough ?

thepeop ,

Thanks for the correction , it is " Qing ' dynasty instead of the much older " Qin " .

My point , for the nth time is Mongolia ( vs Inner Mongolia ) are two separate territories and entities . Mongolia became independent in 1911 . The PRC did not come into being until 1949 !! What are you arguing about ?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.