Author: tradervic

Koppel Interview on P.R. China [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-7-16 09:18:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2008-7-16 09:55
Hm... I do have my doubts on that.  As for the bishops, archbishops, and cardinal issues... again - goes back to the that whole Roman Catholic vs. P.R. Roman Catholic bit.

At least it is a relat ...

As P.R. China becomes more dependant on Saudi Arabia and Iran for oil - we shall see how the Iman issue goes

TV,

If the import of crude oil is a yardstick for religious activity, Japan by now should be an Islamic nation. They are one of the biggest importers if Iranian crude and afaik, the US is the main customer for Saudi oil. China is mainly importing from Brunei and Indonesia, but of course also from the Emirates, Oman, Saudia, Iran and Sudan.

What counts is $$$ or in the case of Iran Yen and Euro.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-17 09:28:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2008-7-16 08:55
Regardless - Koppel was on the money with his statement.

No, he was was wrong. He wasn't making some distinction between the official church and the unofficial church, he didn't even bring up that matter. He didn't know what he was talking about, plain and simple. He showed a typical Western understanding of Chinese politics and made rather absurd comparisons throughout the special.

I liked the special except when Koppel started talking politics because he just had no clue. He pointed to a traffic monitoring station as an example of authoritarianism. That's just ridiculous.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-17 12:06:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 7/15/2008 08:18 PM
As P.R. China becomes more dependant on Saudi Arabia and Iran for oil - we shall see how the Iman issue goes

TV,

If the import of crude oil is a yardstick for religious activity, Japan by now should be an Islamic nation.

Ah yes Japan - with its rather small footprint in international politics and lovely "arms length" approach to immigration.  I do believe we would be hard pressed to find if the number Muslims (of any nationality) is above 200,000 tops.

As for China - given the prickly situation with XinJiang Province - being exposed to the oil dependency of the Middle East is going to bring a series of changes for the politburo to manage - especially the issue of imans coming from the Middle East.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-17 12:16:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by kodama at 7/16/2008 08:28 PM
He pointed to a traffic monitoring station as an example of authoritarianism. That's just ridiculous.

Sorry Kodama, but I saw that episode - in which he was talking about how the powers to be in Beijing think that harassing the power of the automobile will help bring P.R. China into a new level of wealth and propersity - much like what was witnessed in America in the 1950's.  However, it was that introduction of the automotive that also helped usher in the ci vi l  r ig h ts movement in the 1960s - which gave the common man a better chance of moving around the country to help rally a cause or support a comrade in the movement.

P.R. China is going to face a very, very difficult situation as more and more of the common folk get more mobile, and move beyond the limits of the hukou system.  3 story high banks of monitors and hundreds of traffic wardens is not going to full "harmonize" that situation.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.