Author: yuan_zcen

How is DL in your eyes? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-7 12:06:33 |Display all floors
Here's the problem as I see it- the Beijing government's position matches satsu-jin's- "He is certainly NO leader but a notorious trouble maker".  Now, the making trouble part may be right- and the government may well be right in its assessment that calls for substantial au- tonomy are a screen for se- cessionism.  He is undoubtedly a political figure with his own agenda.

State media repeatedly make these points- and, going further, adopts abusive language like 'wolf in monk's clothing'.  The problem is that to many T- ibetans he is a living Buddha- a holy figure who must be not only respected but also (in effect) worshipped.  The government should surely be attempting to make the T- ibetan people happy and content- and it is, with projects like the new railway bringing in wealth and social improvements.  But inflammatory language in the media means that, at the same time as giving people money, the governmet is spitting on their beliefs.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-7-7 12:24:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepeop at 2008-7-7 13:06
Here's the problem as I see it- the Beijing government's position matches satsu-jin's- "He is certainly NO leader but a notorious trouble maker".  Now, the making trouble part may be righ ...

What makes you so sure that the majority of T b  see the D L  as a holy figure? Couldn't it be that the majority is rather indifferent whereas certain monks, who receive their orders from South of the border make all the noise that is needed to attract the West? I have my doubts about the majority backing the boss. After all they are humans who cherish a better standard of living more than being serfs who have to live with a medieval di. c t a t or.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-7 12:32:20 |Display all floors
Again, though, you're describing him as a political figure- a 'dictator'.  I don't know how many, but ordinary people certainly hide his picture in their houses or keep it in their clothing.  It is also clear that religion remains a central aspect of people's lives there, and that he is the highest embodiment of that religion for many- so it must be safe to infer that he is widely respected.  As for valuing standard of living- as I suggested, ecenomic wellbeing is not the whole of human life- some people are even willing to sacrifice their lives for their faith.  Besides, how many T- ibetans remember being serfs?  Certainly a lot fewer than those who remember the 1960s and 70s.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-7 12:35:05 |Display all floors
By the way, I'm not saying the government should make deals with him that would weaken its own position- that would be illogical.  I'm just saying that failing to accord him any respect, as a human being let alone the highest living Buddha, is couterproductive and harms attempts to integrate Ti- bet.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-7-7 12:46:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepeop at 2008-7-7 13:35
By the way, I'm not saying the government should make deals with him that would weaken its own position- that would be illogical.  I'm just saying that failing to accord him any respect, as a human ...

I don't want to go into more arguments. Our positions are worlds apart but just one more remark:

I'm just saying that failing to accord him any respect, as a human being let alone the highest living Buddha, is couterproductive and harms attempts to integrate Ti- bet.

There is nowhere a highest living Buddha on planet Earth. I bet that His Majesty, the King of Thailand, will contest this, so will the majority of Buddhists in China and Japan.  He is not more than the first monk of the Yellow Hat sect, not even the top spiritual leader for all T b ts.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-7 12:51:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2008-7-7 12:46

I don't want to go into more arguments. Our positions are worlds apart but just one more remark:

I'm just saying that failing to accord him any respect, as a human being let alone t ...

there are no living Buddha in the world now.
if there is, is fake

Buddha Sutra says next Buddha MeLerFou comes millions of years later
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-7 12:58:34 |Display all floors
For sure, there are plenty of living Buddhas out there.  I didn't mean the only 'highest living Buddha', because I am not a Buddhist and it depends on who you talk to.  My point is that for an uncertain number of T- ibetans he is the living embodiment of their faith, for others his positiion is at least to be respected, and to insult him is no way to establish good relations with them.  If we take Thailand as an example- if you were to pump money into a Thai village, developing it, while at the same time loudly calling their king an unhuman beast, would you expect a positive reaction?

I appreciate that you don't want to argue, so I'll leave my point there.  If we're discussing who the D L is, though, I think that his religious significance cannot be ignored.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.