Author: cestmoi

Happy Independence Day [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-6 08:43:11 |Display all floors
July the 4th is more a condolence day than celebration day for the bulk of the Americans . Most of the altruistic and motherhood aims and declarations on Independence day have been short changed , discounted and otherwise reduced to unrecognizable wish list items.  i still wish most of my American friends a happy day and hope that some brighter future is in store.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-6 08:49:44 |Display all floors

just another day off...

not really HOLIDAY holiday, but just a short week for us in america  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-6 08:56:34 |Display all floors
Tong,

Like PJ said, it's just another day off. Of course, it usually ends up involving fireworks, but it's not really a big deal on the whole.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-6 08:59:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tongluren at 2008-7-6 08:42
What is There To Be Happy About?

Well, it's a safe bet that there weren't any British frigates arriving for a goodwill visit in Boston.

It is also ironic that the Americans are reputed to be more enthusiastic about the British monarchy than the Brits. Have we paid off the war dept yet? Perhaps we could do a trade?

So what was this independence all for? They might have beaten us but did they win?
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-6 11:24:57 |Display all floors

War debt paid

Originally posted by fatdragon at 2008-7-6 08:59
Well, it's a safe bet that there weren't any British frigates arriving for a goodwill visit in Boston.
It is also ironic that the Americans are reputed to be more enthusiastic about the B ...

Yeah, I think you Brits paid off the war debt - u do mean the lend lease?

Anyway, after the War of Independence, you Brits found that you needed another country to send your 'excess population'... which brings us to Australia (don't start). The black letter of British law, then as now, can be harsh: if you were found guilty of having stolen something deemed to be worth a shilling, you could be put to death. Exile sounded good under the circumstances.

I was once unfairly accused of being pro-monarch by you Brits. The Brits at work (and there were a lot of them in London), carried on about the monarchy. So I told them that it is living history which gives their country a sense of continuity as a people and as a culture. As far as the Brits are concerned, the monarchy has been an excellent  institution which held the Commonwealth together, certainly the pomp and circumstances drew in crowds of tourists that the French head of state couldn't.

Upshot?

I am not going to say anything like that again in England, no, not even at Hyde Park standing on a discarded box. I got no free beer that night.

[ Last edited by cestmoi at 2008-7-6 11:27 AM ]
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-6 11:39:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2008-7-6 11:24

Yeah, I think you Brits paid off the war debt - u do mean the lend lease?

Anyway, after the War of Independence, you Brits found that you needed another country to send your 'excess populati ...

Lend Lease! That's the one. Before my time but it seems as if we are still getting extended credit:

Hansard records from a debate that took place in the House of Lords on 8 July 2002:

Lord McIntosh of Haringey: ''My Lords, the loan originally was £1,075 million, of which £244 million is outstanding. The basis of the loan is that interest is paid at 2 per cent. Therefore, we are currently receiving a greater return on our dollar assets than we are paying in interest to pay off the loan. It is a very advantageous loan for us."

Now if we and our Chinese friends can just push the dollar a little lower then perhaps we can send the US a little real money to play Monopoly with. Interesting that it is still outstanding - obviously the US dosn't need any small change.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-6 12:08:12 |Display all floors

You read the Hansard? You need to get out some more...

Anyway, back to Independence, I have been reading up on the participants, looking at it from both sides. Looking at it from the British side, there is this argument that Samuel Adams was a bit of a rabble rousers. The British East Indies Company was paying the much lower American import tax rather than the British tax, which allowed the Brits to undercut American smugglers. That came about because the Bostonians were boycotting the English tea on the ground that it was more expensive.

Storm in a tea cup but for the rhetorical skills of the rabble rousers.

In any case, history tells me that you Brits repealed the Tea Tax anyway, but English Hawks wanted to punish the American for the Boston Tea Party and charge the likes of Samuel Adams (the demogugue) with high reason. That meant being hang, drawn, and quartered.

Benjamin Franklin (yes, the same), wanted to pay for the damages - very reasonable in Cestmoi's eyes, but the Brits turned down the offer (rather vengeful there in Cestmoi's eyes).

And that, gentlemen was the gong for the first round of the War of Independence.

But for that, Cestmoi would not have been able to watch the film "Sleepy Hollow".  You know there is really a town called Sleepy Hollow, I think it is on the Hudson towards Lower Westchester County.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.