Author: cestmoi

China USA - a relationship with a future. [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-7-1 21:33:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2008-7-1 22:27

Oops, sorry pj, but you are such a sinophile that I thought of you as American with Chinese ancestry... I hope you don't mind.

Afaik he is Chinese American but born in Vietnam. Somewhere I read that his ancestors are from Guangdong but was living in Saigon.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-1 21:41:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2008-7-1 21:33

Afaik he is Chinese American but born in Vietnam. Somewhere I read that his ancestors are from Guangdong but was living in Saigon.  

That would make him Vietnamese-American with Chinese ancestry.

[ Last edited by peterb at 2008-7-1 09:42 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-1 21:49:22 |Display all floors

Too complicated...

Originally posted by peterb at 2008-7-1 21:41

Don't do this to me! Chinese-Vietnamese American with Guangdong ancestry is too much of a mouthful for me.

I think I'll just think of pj as an American rather than a hyphenated American.

KISS = keep it short and simple.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-7-1 21:50:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by peterb at 2008-7-1 22:41

Yeah, if I think about it you're right.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-1 22:04:59 |Display all floors
Condi Rice and Colin Powell seem/seemed to be 2 of the better heads in the Bush/Cheney administration. Too bad they never had a chance of working together.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-1 23:35:22 |Display all floors
I don't know what to think about Wen going down and personally coordinating. It seems like a large publicity stunt meant to distance the central government from the province, which is most likely responsible for scandals like school construction. In addition, it's impossible to know how much the Premier is actually doing and how much is delegated to the officials who would normally handle it. Given the nature of China's system, Wen's actions have basically deprived a number of people of important, career-making opportunities to prove that they can handle a crisis so it is to me a bit greedy politically for a senior official to gather the accolades for himself.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-2 00:00:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by peterb at 2008-7-1 22:04
Condi Rice and Colin Powell seem/seemed to be 2 of the better heads in the Bush/Cheney administration. Too bad they never had a chance of working together.

Because Wolfowitch and other neocons won't allow them to monopolize the game.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.