Author: gotohell

Why are People Behaving Like This in the West? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-4 08:30:03 |Display all floors
Spree killing suspect caught in Illinois

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- Authorities have captured an Illinois man suspected of killing eight people in two states, the FBI confirmed Tuesday.

Nicholas Troy Sheley, 28, of Sterling, was arrested Tuesday evening at a shopping center in Granite City, Illinois, just 10 miles east of St. Louis, Missouri, Special Agent Ross Rice said.

Sheley was walking through the parking lot when he was spotted. He was alone, unarmed and arrested without incident on an arrest warrant charging him with the murder of an elderly man in Whiteside County, said Mark Maton, regional commander for Illinois State Police.

Just before he was arrested, Sheley stopped at Bindy's bar in the shopping center, prompting at least two patrons who recognized him from news reports to excuse themselves and notify police.

"He came in and he ordered a water ... went to the bathroom and then ... asked my boss to borrow a lighter to go outside and smoke," said Katie Ronk, a bartender. "When he went outside, that's when all the cops came in."

Sheley faces another arrest warrant from Galesburg, in northwestern Illinois, charging him with first-degree murder of a 65-year-old man. He is also suspected in six other killings, including that of a child, in Illinois and Missouri.

The victims -- six in Illinois and two in Missouri -- all apparently died from blunt force trauma to the head, the FBI said.

While at large, Sheley was considered armed and dangerous, with a criminal history of armed violence and resisting arrest, according to the FBI. Video Watch how Sheley was apprehended »

Sheley is scheduled for a court appearance Wednesday morning in Granite City, Maton said.

Details on his arrest were not immediately released, but authorities had offered a $25,000 reward for information leading directly to his arrest.

On Sunday, police conducting a welfare check in Rock Falls, Illinois, found four people dead, including the child. Four days earlier, another body had been found in nearby Whiteside County. Sheley was a "known associate" to at least one of the Rock Falls victims, state police said.

Monday, authorities found a body in Galesburg, Illinois, about 80 miles south of Rock Falls and Whiteside County. Police in Galesburg obtained an arrest warrant against Sheley on charges of first-degree murder, aggravated battery and vehicular hijacking in the death of Ronald Randall, 65, whose body was found behind a grocery store.

Sheley also is suspected in the killing of an Arkansas couple in Festus, Missouri, in suburban St. Louis. Missouri authorities told reporters the woman and man were in town for a graduation and last seen at the Comfort Inn in Festus.

Authorities suspected that Sheley was likely in the St. Louis area. A bulletin issued by the St. Louis County Police Department described him as an "extremely dangerous" methamphetamine addict. Video Watch psychologist discuss Sheley's actions »

"He has stated to his ex-wife that he has more killing to do," the bulletin said.

According to a Tuesday affidavit by FBI Special Agent Susan Hanson, Sheley invaded a home in Sterling, Illinois -- just a mile from Rock Falls -- on June 14. A woman inside the home told police the man was Sheley, it says.

Sheley then went to Iowa -- where he made a phone call to his wife in Sterling on Saturday -- and then went to Missouri, according to the affidavit.

A gas station attendant in Galesburg, less than 60 miles from where the call was placed near Davenport, Iowa, told police he saw Sheley, who appeared to have blood on him, at the gas station, the affidavit stated.

A stolen truck belonging to Randall -- the victim in Galesburg -- was recovered Sunday in Festus, near an Anheuser-Busch distribution plant, authorities said.

Nicholas T. Sheley, 28, was being sought in connection with eight deaths.
art.sheley.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-4 11:56:15 |Display all floors
Child abuse on the rise in Guangdong
By Qiu Quanlin (China Daily)
Updated: 2006-12-21 06:53

GUANGZHOU: The mental and physical abuse of minors is widespread and growing in South China's Guangdong Province, a recent survey suggested.

More than half of the children in Guangdong had suffered physical abuse at the hands of their parents and 44 per cent had been insulted mentally by teachers, according to the survey by the Children's Department of the Guangdong Provincial Women's Federation.

"We have found that a growing number of children has been subjected to physical violence at home and insulted mentally by teachers," Zhang Liling, the department's director, told China Daily yesterday.

"The increasing level of child abuse will, by all means, have a lasting and damaging impact on children's mental health," she added.

Zhang said parents were responsible for most of the physical violence directed at minors, while teachers were behind the mental abuse.

"Many parents and teachers seem to think that abuse, either physical or mental, is helpful for children's future development," Zhang said.

The survey of more than 1,200 children and 274 parents indicated that more than half of the parents interviewed were of this view.

In addition, more than 45 per cent of parents said it was appropriate for teachers to use "moderate" insults to get children to behave, Zhang said.

"The survey shows there is a clear association between maltreatment during childhood and mental health," Zhang said.

Zhang said young people who had been subjected to regular abuse performed significantly worse academically than their peers. They also had higher levels of depression and suicidal tendencies, compared with other children.

The survey coincided with the Campaign of Prevention of Violence Against Children, which was launched in June by the United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) in Guangdong, Zhejiang and Shanxi provinces.

Under the campaign, which lasts for the next five years, a series of studies on children's development will be carried out. The authorities are also expected to draw up measures to prevent child abuse.

"Its goal is to establish a professional system to help abused children," Zhang said.

Citing the survey, Zhang said the increasing level of child abuse had much to do with traditional views of childhood development.

"Many parents and teachers care more about children's future development than their dignity and rights," Zhang said.

Li Liping, an associate professor at the Guangdong-based Shantou University, yesterday called on schools and families to be more aware of children's rights.

"There is an urgent need to promote research and study programmes to raise community awareness and prevent violence against children," Li said.

Schools and homes can become dangerous places for children. Maltreatment at the hands of parents and teachers is one of the most serious problems affecting children, Li said.

Teachers and parents should care more about children's psychological development, Li said, adding that government institutions should also play an "active and responsible" role in protecting children's rights.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-4 11:58:07 |Display all floors
Chinese child abuse 'widespread'
A Chinese child
The risk to some Chinese children has been officially acknowledged
A groundbreaking survey has revealed a pattern of widespread physical abuse of children in China.

Backed by Unicef and carried out by the All China Women's Federation, it is said to be the first scientific survey to tackle the issue in China.

Almost half of the thousands questioned said they had suffered some form of physical abuse in childhood.

Governmental support for the study meant it marked a "breakthrough moment" for China, a Unicef spokesman said.

The levels of abuse are not being described as significantly greater than in other parts of the world, but in China it has not been as documented and debated.

The official support for the survey suggests a new willingness for China to face up to social problems rather than pretending they do not exist, our correspondent says.

Many within China may also be shocked by the consequences of child abuse.

Physical punishment is commonly seen as a necessary short, sharp shock to promote discipline.

But the survey's findings showed a clear link between maltreatment in childhood and mental health problems in later life, including alcohol abuse, violence and thoughts of suicide.

Teachers targeted

The survey's organisers gathered their information through anonymous questionnaires completed by more than 3,500 university students in six provinces.

Among the abuse which close to half of the respondents reported were instances of being hit, kicked or slapped.

About one in three said they had been beaten with an object, like a stick or belt.

A minority of less than five per cent said they'd experienced multiple instances of abuse, often of a very serious nature.

Schools emerged as a key place for violence. Teachers, who command high levels of status and respect in China, are described as key perpetrators of severe physical punishment and abuse.

Sexual abuse was also covered. The survey says that "substantial numbers" of boys and even more girls suffered unwanted sexual experiences, ranging from being talked to in an obscene way to inappropriate fondling and even child rape

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-4 12:02:10 |Display all floors

For some reason....

Perception
By PATRICK E. TYLER

HER NAME IN CHINESE IS rendered Mei Ming, which means No Name. Her cheeks are sunken, and her eyelids are crusted with blisters of neglect. When she cries, the exertion stretches, perilously, the parchmentlike skin of her face. Her hooded eyes refuse to tear. Instead, they are filled with such desperation that when you see the terror in them, then hear the rasping sound that escapes her, you know that death is not far away. Mei Ming lies in a state-run orphanage in Guangdong Province, formerly ...
January 21, 1996
MORE ON CHINA AND: REVIEWS, TELEVISION, DOCUMENTARY FILMS AND PROGRAMS, ORPHANS AND ORPHANAGES, CINEMAX, BLEWETT, KATE, WOODS, BRIAN

China Arrests Brother of Doctor Who Told of Orphanage Abuses
By SETH FAISON

Zhang Shuyun, the doctor who accused an orphanage here of deliberately starving children in its care, said today that her brother had been arrested and charged with subversion, apparently in retaliation for her decision to publicize her allegations of abuse. In an interview from New York, Dr. Zhang said her brother, Zhang Jian, was taken from his home in Shanghai on Jan. 9, one day after the Shanghai authorities arranged a tour of the orphanage for foreign journalists to deny that organized neg...
January 19, 1996
MORE ON CHINA AND: ORPHANS AND ORPHANAGES, SHANGHAI, CHINA, SHANGHAI (CHINA), ZHANG JIAN, ZHANG SHUYUN
I can't seem to get these pages to download...but since most of you are outside 'The Mother', you may proceed to check up on these stories.

U.S. Rights Group Asserts China Lets Thousands of Orphans Die
By PATRICK E. TYLER

A New York-based human rights organization asserted today that thousands of children have died in China's state-run orphanages from deliberate starvation, medical malpractice and staff abuse. The group, Human Rights Watch, said it was impossible to obtain "a full accounting of the total number" and of the safety and health of China's orphan population, but based on detailed medical records smuggled out by a doctor from a large Shanghai orphanage, and on a limited set of statistics relating to n...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-4 12:06:25 |Display all floors

This is not a western thing at all...nor does the west hold a patent on it

A grim tale of child abuse in China

By Ching-Ching Ni
September 11, 2007

Her relatives had always described her as a colicky baby.

When Luo Cuifen was 26, she found out a likely reason why.

Doctors discovered more than two dozen sewing needles embedded in her body, some piercing her vital organs.

X-rays of her head and torso look like a dart board.

Doctors believe the needles were driven into her body when Luo was days old. One in the top of her skull could only have been stuck there when the bones in her head were still soft.

“They wanted her dead,” said Qu Rei, a spokesman at Richland International Hospital in Yunnan province, which has agreed to surgically remove the first six of the 26 needles in her body today. “The fact she is still alive is a medical miracle.”

Luo does not remember ever being stabbed. Relatives suspect her grandparents. They wanted a grandson instead of a second granddaughter.

“I was horrified,” said Luo, now 29, in an interview by phone Monday from her hospital room. “How could they do such a thing to me when I was so young?”

Luo, an impoverished farmer, has had to wait for three years for her operation because she had been unable until now to find a hospital willing to perform the difficult and expensive procedure for free.

Female infanticide is common practice in cultures that prize boys. China’s strict one-child policy has exacerbated the age-old prejudice by making the male heir an even more precious commodity. Lopsided sex selection through such means as abortions has skewed the gender ratio; it now stands at about 119 boys to 100 girls. In industrialized countries the balance is closer to 107 to 100.

China’s family planning restrictions have also led to a surge in child trafficking. On Friday, Chinese police rescued 40 kidnapped infants purchased in relatively impoverished southwestern China and bound for potential buyers on the country’s more prosperous east coast.

Thousands of baby girls are abandoned every year. Some are left on the street or even in the trash.

Luo’s case is not the first in which children have been pierced with metal objects. This year, state media reported the case of a 40-year-old woman who had suffered from headaches all her life. It turned out she had a 4-inch needle stuck in her head. Relatives said she had been born out of wedlock and passed from friend to friend as an infant. By the time she came home to stay with her mother she had developed a habit of sobbing hysterically that no one could explain.

A 47-year-old woman late last year had a seizure while doing housework and was taken to the hospital, where she was found to have an embedded needle.

Despite the progress that many urban women have made, the situation in the countryside is often vastly different.

Luo is the daughter of peasants in a village in southwestern China; her mother gave birth to two girls. Her father beat his wife and daughters and denied them meals and the right to sit at the family table, relatives said.

Luo’s earliest memories were of huddling in tears with her sister and mother.

When she was 3, her parents divorced and her mother remarried and gave birth to a boy. When he was 2, he wandered off while his mother was working and drowned in a pond.

“Villagers who came to fetch water saw his clothes floating on the surface, and when they went to fish them up they found his body,” Yang Yunfen, Luo’s older sister, said from her sister’s hospital bedside.

Their mother, who later had another baby son, had little energy to devote to Luo’s constant crying. Pins began emerging from her body when she was 6 months old.

The first instance started off as an infected wound in her lower back. Her mother poked at it and, to her surprise, pulled out a sewing needle.

There was no hospital nearby and no money to seek treatment, relatives and doctors said.

When Luo was 3, another sewing needle jabbed out from under one of her left ribs.

It took more than two decades before the family learned how many needles had been pushed into her body.

“My mother cried and cried after she found out,” said Luo Jiaxing, 20, Luo Cuifen’s younger brother. “She kept saying, ‘No wonder my daughter cried all the time as a baby. She must have been hurting from all the needles, but she did not know how to speak.’ ”

Luo says that as an adult she never felt any unusual pain. She married and gave birth to a healthy son who is now 6. After blood showed up in her urine and she discovered what was lodged in her body, she found it difficult to fall asleep or do heavy farm work for fear of shifting the needles to a more lethal position. Her husband supports the family of three on just $400 a year.

Relatives suspect her grandfather because whenever the family brought up the needles, he would fall silent.

“After we found out about the needles, he stopped seeing us or even talking to us,” Luo’s sister said.

Villagers told relatives after the grandfather died this year that he had hired a fortuneteller who told him before Luo was born that she would be a curse on the family. He also vowed to get rid of her, they said.

“I knew my grandfather looked down on me because I was a girl, but I had no idea he hated me that much until I found out about the needles,” Luo said.

Today’s surgery is aimed at removing the most life-threatening needles in her abdominal area, including in her bladder, intestines and uterus.

Dozens of doctors, including some in the United States and Canada, have been consulted. Five or six more operations would be needed to remove the rest of the needles.

“When I first heard about this case I couldn’t believe it was real,” said Xu Mei, the hospital director. “In the X-ray you can see the needles very clearly. They are thick and long, used for knitting bedding covers. It had to have hurt a lot when she was a baby.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-4 12:07:13 |Display all floors

And as usual C-H-I-N-A daily has stopped allowing my posts

where are the remaining posts CD?
GoToHell claims that child abuse is a western invention. I say false. I have a few things I'd like to post to show that western society does not hold the monopoly on child abuse.
C'mon... how can you allow such bashing to go on unabated?
I have more things to post, so stop being paranoid, and let me post away, ok?

[ Last edited by glaznozt at 2008-7-4 12:10 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-4 12:16:23 |Display all floors

That is why I give a s. h ee t

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.